ink build up on coating blanket

jms

I get ink build up on coating blanket, I cannot fix this problem my preasure is set to 2 thousands over. My roller strips are set to factory recommendations, viscosity is good. what else can do? I have also increased and decreased the coating amount. The ink builds up in about 2000 impressions. what can I do?

Edited by: jms on Mar 18, 2008 10:57 PM

Re: ink build up on coating blanket

You can try a different blanket. The surface has a lot to do with it *Ground, Cast etc.* Can you get the coating to break up by lightening up the squeeze to verify the operator did accidently over pack ?

HI,

have you tried adding a wetting agent to the emulsion. have you checked its viscosity and does it fall within reasonable tollerances. The wetting agent should allow a better flow over the blanket and should stop the ink building up. Talk to your pressroom supplier most should stock this.

Paul

Do you have a lot of contamination of your inks? Is the coating blanket the only one piling?

After cleaning the coating blanket, wipe it down with Clorox bleach, then let it dry.  The bleach shrinks the pores of the rubber and makes it less ink receptive.  This works unbelievable well.

Thanks, wipping the blanket with bleach worked great. I dont know where you got this from but it worked awsome.

Glad that trick worked for you. Its not a perfect solution, but a little bit of bleach goes a long way to keep your coating blanket clean and your aqueous laying smooth.

Scott:
I can't imagine why this would work....I would be concerned about the corrosion of the press if the bleach got on any of the metal. Where and how did you come up with this?
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

John,

This is common practice where I run press. I think it was suggested by a blanket salesman in the past. I haven't seen any evidence that it causes any corrosion to the cylinders, especially chrome impression cylinder. Just cleaning the blanket with a wet sponge to loosen the aqueous between jobs seems to do more damage to the blanket cylinder than anything else.

Back off impression pressure until coating breaks and then go up until you get consistent caoting avross the sheet. Make sure you coating is at 13-17 seconds. And maybe change you process inks to K&E F1-Drive. You may have a tack issue.

im having the same problem but also the blade is picking up ink too. what does that usually mean?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back