Ryobi / Crestline issue.

lantz_xvx

Hi all,

I'm trying to run a job at the moment under a pretty brutal deadline, and I'm having a couple of issues, one with the Crestlines and one in general on the Ryobi. FYI, it's a Ryobi 3302 with Crestlines. I'm running poly plates and 60# uncoated text weight paper. The job is a pamphlet, 4up on 11.5 x 17.5 so it requires a good amount of coverage on all sides.

1) I recently re-checked my roller settings and adjusted as necessary; because of the change in temperature, the rollers had of course gone out of adjustment. I set all the Crestline rollers to the spec as outlined in the manual. What's happening now is that I'm picking up too much ink on the non-operator side and it's scumming into the image area. If I adjust the knurled knob to let a little more water to the plate, it ends up being too much and starts dumping water everywhere. All of the form rollers, including the dampener form, are set to spec.

The problem actually started on the operator side, and after opening up the metering to pan roller gap a little bit, I got it to the point where it runs clean and doesn't flood the plate with water. Should I just try to find that sweet spot on the non-operator and keep an eye on it? I'd hate to have to babysit it, it's around 2,000 impressions each on 7 plates. I'd like to be able to just set it and forget it, and give all my attention to what the pages are like on the delivery end in regards to ink density.

It's possible that I put in too much ink from the getgo, but I figured it would have run off by now after around 200 sheets, and gotten in balance. Right now I'm worried that I'm not running minimum water and that the density will be way light, for which I will compensate by adding more ink when that will only exacerbate the problem.

2) The other problem I'm having is on the feeder end. After the sheet is registered and is transferred into the press, I hear a "knocking" sound on each sheet. I'm running 60# uncoated stock, 11.5 x 17.5 and I didn't hear the sound when I had it crawling to set up the registration. I'm running the press pretty slow, 4500iph and I just can't figure out what's making the sound. It's only when the sheet is transferred from the conveyor that I hear the sound, not when the machine is just on impression. I backed off the impression, thinking maybe it was too heavy (that could certainly affect the above problem as well) but that didn't solve the problem, and anyway, the impression really wasn't set very heavy to begin with.

I know it's a longshot but I'm hoping someone can help me out today so I can knock this job out (before it knocks me out).

Thanks,
- Lantz

You will want to use alcohol sub to get rid of the piling on the meter roller. As a temp fix if there is not a guard on the roller use a business card bend into a c and scrape it off the roller as the press is running. Not sure about the knocking sound your hearing. Is the stock curl up? There are brass hold downs right where the stock goes into the press. I believe they are held by two allen head screws. Take those plates out or raise them as high as they will go. I never used them except for real bad up curl.

Hey, thanks for your response. I actually found out what the problem was with the scumming: though I had checked my roller pressures, the locknut on the third form roller was not tight enough on the NOPS, causing the roller to sort of jimmy out of adjustment. I was sure to tighten it better this time and the problem has since gone away.

As far as the knocking goes, that remains a mystery. The stock isn't curling at all. I don't remember hearing the sound when I was feeding 80# cardstock or 60# legal. But now I'm doing 60# 11.5 x 17.5. Not sure what the correlation is, if any, but I'll check out those brass hold downs. If they haven't caused a problem before, I'm hesitant to mess with them, but if nothing else works, I'll give it a shot. Meanwhile, any other ideas or suggestions about that are welcome! It's driving me crazy.

The knocking is the paper snapping when it is transfer to the cylinder grippers. There is nothing to worry about it just because the paper is long. It might go away if you turn the speed up.

Thanks for the response, Printdog. That makes sense. The sound didn't go away when I turned up the speed but if you say it's nothing to worry about, I'm inclined to believe you because it doesn't seem to be affecting anything. At this point, whatever it takes to get this job done, I'll have to do.

Thanks again.

- Lantz

For the knocking sound, try lessening the in-feed roller pressure. Decrease it and increase it on the fly while listening to the sound.

Al

Hi Al,

Thanks for the response. I did try messing with it, but with no good results. If I made the gap too wide, the paper was erratic and jam-ups occurred. If I made the gap too tight, the sheet was binding at the headstop. In both cases, it still made that sound. I'll be switching to 80lb cardstock here pretty soon, same size, so I'll loosen it up just a little bit and see if it still makes the sound, but as I've been able to run the job like this with only mild annoyance, I'm willing to just let it go for now.

- Lantz

The knocking, as mentioned, was most likely the paper buckle; important for register. The Feeder roller is still feeding the stock after reaching the transfer grippers. The general set-it and forget it setting for the feeder roller is to -
- Inch the machine until the feeder roller lowers to forward the paper (as the headstops drop)
- Applying light pressure on the feeder roller, adjust the knurled adjustment knob to achieve 1 1/8 rotations before it lifts.
Card stock can feed with much less infeed; lighter weight paper benefits from full infeed.
Adjust it excessively long, and you can actually get the paper to half or trifold against the first blanket :-(

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back