GFI Ink Dispenser

CKL

Anybody running a GFI Ink Dispenser in their pressroom ?
Comments good and bad would be great.

Thanks

Re: GFI Ink Dispenser

We are considering adding an ink mixing system also and would welcome any input or comments as to accuracy and value.

Just installed one 3 weeks ago. I love it, however the pressmen (nuff said) just can't seem to get a handle on it. I mean a trained chimp can run these things but man I tell you I am getting tired of coming in to 4 pounds of pms 100 every other day because some dumba*s can't fuc*ing read the screen and see what he is mixing. All I will say is if you have a literate pressman you will like the machine. It has cut down the amount of ink we have on hand simply because if you need 3 lbs you mix 3 lbs and not have to buy 5 lbs from the manufacturer. It keeps a record of all ink mixed and if everyone does their job and re-inventories the ink properly you can cut way down on waste ink being disposed of.
Again, I would recommend the machine whole heartedly.

Thanks for the information. I think we have fairly literate press personnel so this should help!

We have had one for a few years down here and while the machine is good it is not the end all to be all. It does save time on small runs. However, just like in longer runs, say over 20-30 lbs, I have found that it is better just to mix the ink at the manufacture. Just like there we are seeing slight issues between mixes. Do not get me wrong, good machine but still has flaws.

I just started working at a new place that has the GFI and I'm blown away. We're running Kohl & Madden and the repeatability of these blends are 10x better than my old ink rep could do at my previous location. This thing is the real deal.

Actually PMS books are called guides for a reason. No one can guarantee if you measure exactly a formula that it will match.. Variations from batch to batch in ink strengths.. what about stock brightness??? truth is if you have customers who will accept DE of 2 or more you might be good to go.. And yes batch size??? The ink and tubes cost alot more than a can... I don't know about you, but you buy mixmaster software for 299$ a kit mixer (which you need anyway and is cheaper than GFI vibration mixer) and some knives a scaler for $400 and you are mixing ink.. and Mixmaster allows you to also put in customer colors and then work off your excess ink inventory also... So you can spend 35K for a dispensing machine, or $1000... Our people can weigh up a batch of ink in 10 minutes or less.. not sure that is worth the cost difference... but that one mans opinion...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back