Single diameter imp. cylinder of SM52 vs. double diameter imp. cylinder

printform

What is the big deal about a machine with double diameter imp. cylinder like Ryobi? What about Single diameter imp. cylinder of SM52 ?

Re: Single diameter imp. cylinder of SM52 vs. double diameter imp. cylinder

Hi,

my guess is that the sheet travels on a much flatter plain through the press on a double diameter cylinder giving better transfer and register, single size cylinder has the advantage of one cam and follower to register the sheet so less to go wrong.

Paul

hope this helps

>What is the big deal about a machine with double diameter imp. cylinder like Ryobi?

The double diameter imp. cylinder allows for printing two colors in a single gripper byte without transfers. Is this the big deal are you referring to? We should not be surprised that a manufacturer portrays a necessity as a virtue.

The 3302 needed to have a large impression cylinder so as to create more room between the units due to the small format size. That press is targeted to the small printer, so price needs to be kept down.

The 2 color SM52 adds a transfer cylinder between two separate impression cylinders, and is a much larger investment. More parts and more manufacturing. Most presses with four or more units commonly employ multiple transfers very successfully.

Al

If you are running heavy coverage on cover stock such as book covers, you will get much less ink marking on the double diameter cylinder configuration.

Todd

If you look at all press manufacturers in the 28 inch (74cm) and larger formats, everyone uses double diameter impression and transfer cylinders even Heidelberg. In the smaller format presses with sheet sizes 14 x 20 inches (52cm) and smaller, Ryobi has been a longtime leader of using a double diameter impression cylinder for impression and transfer cylinders because of the flatter paper path which significantly reduces the chances of marking, allows the use of thicker stocks and fewer gripper changes which reduces the changes of register issues like slurring and doubling. On a Ryobi 524 series multicolor, there are only 4 gripper changes during four color printing sequence compared to at least 12 gripper changes on the Heidelberg GTO-V or SM 52-4. At Drupa this year, I would bet that you will see Heidelberg introduce double diameter impression and transfer cylinders on their SM 52 series.

heidelberg has too many new presses this year. I can not imagine a redesign of the sm52. besides the sm74 still has single imp and transfer cylinders. the only go to double and triple on the cd presses.

The number on reasonm for using a doulble impression cylinder is sheet bend. Less sheet bend less marking. Heidelberg has long used doubles in the CD line. These presses are famous for running mark free. I will agree with many of the comments here but after being in printing for 20 years I have to say that marking issues are the biggest advantage.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back