Light Fast Ink

Seagull

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience printing with Light Fast Permanent Inks on SBS board. What i would like to know is if you find it consistent from run to run and if you find that it prints dirtier than conventional inks, do you have trouble with dot gain or density across a sheet. I am asking this to find out how a Gracol7 fingerprint will work with this ink.

Re: Light Fast Ink

The Magenta and the Yellow are the only two colors that require special pigments to make it permanent. Ink companies recommend the full set so that the tack is graded to get better trap efficiency. Yes the magenta will be dirtier and the yelow will be more opaque. The yellow being more opaque will make trapped colors dirty. Some ink formulations are too thick and might not transfer as regular KCMY. There are light fast inks that have good flow. Please email me privately, i can recommed a good set. Any how I do not recommend finger printing a press for color management purpose with LF inks because the hue is different on the Magenta and yellow and the gary balance will not be "neutral".
Hope this helps
George John

George is right about the magenta and the yellow. Totally different pigments are used, like automotive grade pigments. You would also want light fast inks for fine art reproductions. But, if this press is going to be using these inks frequently, why not profile for a different ink set? Don't expect the inks to print any differently than your typical process inks. Not a commercial, just a referral, but I have had good luck with Wikoff Color in Fort Mill South Carolina. They have a lot of experience with landscape signage and plant tags.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Thanks for your input and knowledge guys, Well we did the G7 press fingerprint and i am happy to say it worked out fine. With some tweaking to our proofer profile for this ink set we pretty much matched a real job after 2 or3 pulls.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back