Looking into Web Printing

kburton

I need some advice, we are a offset sheetfed printer and we have a customer that is buying out some his printing from a Web printer, but would like for us to do this for him instead of the web printer. We are looking at a 17.5" Didde press with a 24" cylinder which will allow us to print 8.5 x 11 w/ full bleed.

My questions are: How do you price web printing? How much ink does a web press use compared to a sheetfed press? How much waste/make-ready is needed compared to a sheetfed press? What is a typical make-ready time for a Didde? Are there any special equipment that I will need for loading and unloading a roll of paper? Is there is anything else I am missing?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The best resource for answering these questions is the Didde Corporation, even if you plan to buy used. Just behave as if you will be buying new until all your questions are answered, and then buy from whoever you want.

Al

The best resource for answering these questions is the Didde Corporation, even if you plan to buy used. Just behave as if you will be buying new until all your questions are answered, and then buy from whoever you want.

Al

Hi Al, Didde basically went bankrupt some years ago. It was bought several times by other operations. Now the assets are owned by GSS. GSS might be able to provide guidance but I think they are mainly providing Didde parts and service. Worth a try.

Here is a link to show the Didde history.

Graphic Systems Services - History

This was too bad because they had some interesting ideas. The MVP press was interesting because it would have very little mechanical ghosting. They also experimented with positive ink feed and had a patent, which was not workable but interesting. I had given them a seminar back in 1996 on press design related to density control and they commented on their testing with positive ink feed, using an injector to feed ink into the roller train. It was a cylinder filled with ink and a plunger. The plunger was pushed with a stepping motor driving a screw jack. They said it had very good control in tests.

From talks with the engineering group there, it seems that the marketing group had the last say on what was to be developed. The result was that they eventually went under like a lot of press manufacturers that could not fully change. Didde was better than most at trying new ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the historical update Erik. Not being interested in web, I was unaware of their demise. Too busy trying to keep my own ship from sinking, although it went down anyway.

Al

Before you buy a web press I hope you have more work for it than just the one customer, even a small web press can do a lot of work in a short amount of time. If you are getting a web make sure you can fill it up with work.
jm

We have a 20 1/2" 6 color Diddie VIP UV press along with a two Diddie conventional presses. We use them along with two UV Rotateks to print continuous forms. The webs are not really my expertise I'm more of a sheetfed guy but I can provide some insight on your questions:

Price- it's in the toilet, pretty much bottom of the barrel. I would say half of the sheetfed cost which is already in the toilet.

make ready- these can take a while, ours usually take 2-3 hours sometimes more. Depends really on the job, perfs, stock, wash ups and all of that. It's not a sheetfed, nothing is automated on our diddie.

Make ready waste- hmmm not sure, I can't really give you a number in feet but usually around 1000-1500 "sheets"

Rolls- we use KTI splicer and rewind stands, once going the press doesn't stop, rolls go in and rolls go out, the press never misses a beat. We average about 800 feet per minute. Not fast by web press standards but not bad for a Diddie.

People compare Diddies to presses like a Heidelberg, they are not and it's not a fair comparison. With the right work mix, crews and material the press can bring value to your business.

Mike

Before you buy a web press I hope you have more work for it than just the one customer, even a small web press can do a lot of work in a short amount of time. If you are getting a web make sure you can fill it up with work.
jm

Yes, good advice. It takes a lot of work to fill up a web, even a diddie. They need to be running 24/7 for any chance of making money.

Mike

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back