Do you run the Heidelberg SM-52 Anicolor press

Hi There
Im new to the forum and looking for some advise on a Speedmaster SM-52. We have some colour variation during short and long runs and ive heard that it may be necessary to refill the liquid in the Anilox from time to time. Does anyone have any information on whether this is required and the purpose of it?

You will only need to refill anilox rollers when you are unable to adjust roller temperature and pressure gauge shows the volume of glycol is low. So basically your temps will all flatline and you will be unable to adjust color. Also if your glycol level is to low the pumps in your technotrans will not kick on. Hope this helps.

Not an Anicolor guy but my guess is that the water feed is just a number that is influenced by many variables. The first and probably most influential variable would be the settings on the rest of the dampening system. A tight metering of the Alcolor system would would require a greater "percentage" of dampening feed as per the dampening motor pots. Other variables to include things such as pressroom climate, chemistry, both ink and fountain solution. Absorbancy of the substrate to be printed on. Skills of the pressman, as a less skilled pressman would tend to run more damp. flow than needed. You also need to consider condition and durometer of the Alcolor rollers. To look at just what the presses potentiometer readings are, and base a judgment on that alone, would not be smart without looking at the entire picture.

Thank you, its a presserized system and i find it odd that the Anilox would need to be manually refilled but the previous owner of the machine says that he used to refill it on a regular basis. Will check with Heidelberg what they think. Appreciate the feedback.

You do not manually fill the anilox roller itself. You refill the system in your technotrans unit which feeds your anilox rollers via circulation in and out so as you adjust temps your roller becomes warm or cold accordingly. Just wondering. Have you had any training on this press?

I'm guessing that if the previous owner had to refill glycol on a regular basis that he had a leak in the system somewhere. I had leaks on my press after the first year we used it. Found out that the European hose clamps only tighten so far and then it would eventually start to leak there. Had to replace with American made clamps and problem solved. The hoses that the glycol flows through become hardened over time due to the heating and cooling of the liquid circulating through them. It took about a year to locate all of them as they are mostly under the catwalk etc.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back