Review of inexpensive digital microscopes

Gordon, you have some competition regarding inexpensive microscopes. As far as I can see, the images of dots you had shown, quite a while ago, seem to be of better quality and higher magnification than Johnthemathguy's images (part 1, on blog).

I had a quick look at your and John's microscopes and I don't think they were the same but I could be wrong. Hope you can comment. A microscope sure seems like a good tool for printers and others who want to get a close look at things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gordon, you have some competition regarding inexpensive microscopes. As far as I can see, the images of dots you had shown, quite a while ago, seem to be of better quality and higher magnification than Johnthemathguy's images (part 1, on blog).

I had a quick look at your and John's microscopes and I don't think they were the same but I could be wrong. Hope you can comment. A microscope sure seems like a good tool for printers and others who want to get a close look at things.

The (20x - 200x) USB microscope I use cost me about $60 about 10 years ago (see attached). It seems similar to John's however the intensity of the LED light on mine can be adjusted from 0% to 100% (his can't). Also, mine has a clear plastic snoot which makes focussing easier - and external lighting if needed. I've also marked mine so that I can align the angle of view of the microscope.

You can see samples of different printing methods viewed with my scope here:
http://the-print-guide.blogspot.ca/2010/08/how-was-it-printed-simple-ways-to.html

You can see samples of how I use the scope in this thread:
https://printplanet.com/forum/press...ent-excessive-dot-gain-tvi-on-all-units/page2

From what I can tell the phone camera attachment is better than nothing but a proper scope is so relatively inexpensive and so valuable for the shop that IMHO there is no reason not to have one.

Attachments

• Micro.jpg
    Micro.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 194
The (20x - 200x) USB microscope I use cost me about $60 about 10 years ago (see attached). It seems similar to John's however the intensity of the LED light on mine can be adjusted from 0% to 100% (his can't). Also, mine has a clear plastic snoot which makes focussing easier - and external lighting if needed. I've also marked mine so that I can align the angle of view of the microscope.

You can see samples of different printing methods viewed with my scope here:
http://the-print-guide.blogspot.ca/2010/08/how-was-it-printed-simple-ways-to.html

You can see samples of how I use the scope in this thread:
https://printplanet.com/forum/press...ent-excessive-dot-gain-tvi-on-all-units/page2

From what I can tell the phone camera attachment is better than nothing but a proper scope is so relatively inexpensive and so valuable for the shop that IMHO there is no reason not to have one.

Thanks for providing great photos for us. Pour nous photos. :)

No Title

I've had the Beta ColorViewer III for several years. An invaluable tool for me. For some reason our pressmen are not impressed. Can't figure out why (sarcasm).

Check out attached pics.
Setup time is about 30 seconds, and now I can share what I see rather easily. Well....almost what I see. I did enhance the 25x shot, but not the 100x.

I also got the microshot thingy that Gordo uses, but I haven't had much luck with it. Occasionally worked okay for me. And setup time is longer. So I reverted to the cellphone setup.

Maybe someday I'll further enhance those bad-ass dots to landscape pics. Maybe then the pressmen will be interested. NOT.

Attachments

• photo6179.jpg
    photo6179.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 178
  • photo6180.jpg
    photo6180.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 190
  • photo6182.jpg
    photo6182.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 183
  • photo6183.jpg
    photo6183.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 191
  • photo6184.jpg
    photo6184.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 172

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back