Please help settle a disagreement

cementary,

Lo and behold ............ you've given away the secret of your "Success " ............ 10-12 IPA

I was running a 4 unit Web -Offset Press - Alcohol FREE in the 1980s

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
Hello cementary, for your "Enlightenment"

Alois, i have to admit — you've got me by the balls with
a) Zinc Albumen surface plate
b) Deep-Etch Plate
c) Bi-Metallic Plate
I didn't even hear such words before
Preferential Wetting is way too hard for me — i'll go to the bookshop tomorrow, maybe they have some new english-russian dictionaries. And some tough books on physics too.
Anyway, i really appreciate your 50-years experience and i believe you know lithography very well, no jokes here.

I have to ask again about your statement — "
IMHO most of your on Press Problems are because you are using DoP Plates!"
Could you please stop telling me what i don't know about and simple answer the question — what the hell sonora have to do with cclyde particular problem?

cementary,

Lo and behold ............ you've given away the secret of your "Success " ............ 10-12 IPA

I was running a 4 unit Web -Offset Press - Alcohol FREE in the 1980s

Regards, Alois

Damn, i wasn't even born yet
But why did you do that in 1980s? What for? Are you against IPA somehow?
Personally, i think IPA is good

Cementary,

Simple............ the use of IPA in F.S. is banned in the UK, Europe and the USA

Regards, Alois

actually Alois, we are still allowed to use IPA in the US. At least here in the northeastern part of the U.S. It is frowned upon and very much encouraged to break dependance on it but as long as your not a huge company ,purchasing very large amounts it will probably go un noticed by the EPA, which is our government agency that controls all things deemed as bad for the environment.

I believe technically in the US you need to keep track of how much VOC's you emit each year and after a certain amount you need an indoor air permit. So I guess to cementary's question in the US it is regulated and taxed heavily which makes a lot of people move to alcohol sub.

I believe technically in the US you need to keep track of how much VOC's you emit each year and after a certain amount you need an indoor air permit. So I guess to cementary's question in the US it is regulated and taxed heavily which makes a lot of people move to alcohol sub.

Or, just a lot of people who move to alcohol, period. :)

here in Kalifornia, at least the the counties surrounding the San Francisco Bay, we are required to keep track of our VOC usage and be able to call up any periods usage whenever the inspector pops in . . . and as to using alcohol and other solvents that actually work, that is strictly verboten . . . so basically its alcohol replacement and washing your press with some fancy soap and water . . . kinda like dish soap only on steriods . . .

Wisconsin just changed their laws last year, and all our alcohol is out.
the "substitutes" just don't work as well. Ah well.

FAO cementary,

A PDF

I see your point. But I don't agree with it because from our test trials - and there were a lot of them - we didn't find any problems with water. Same amount of water was fed into the press (in fact even lower comparing to Capricorn conventional plates). Over emulsification has been observed only with huber inks. Another inks and Pantone inks were absolutely ok. Today we're working sonora on 8 sheetfed presses and four Web coldset for about half a year already.

Hello cementary,

BUT you are forgetting ONE fundamental - YOU are using IPA !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm curious by what method did you measure the F.S consumption ???

Also you need to understand - "The Mechanics of Fluid Transfer" and "Where the Water Goes" !!!

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
cementary,

One more "Crucial Point" even when achieving on Press "Stable Micro Emulsion" this will not keep the plates Clean.

Regards, Alois

Hello cementary,

BUT you are forgetting ONE fundamental - YOU are using IPA !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm curious by what method did you measure the F.S consumption ???

Also you need to understand - "The Mechanics of Fluid Transfer" and "Where the Water Goes" !!!

Regards, Alois

We measure consumption by number of empty cans by the end of the week )))
why are you so against IPA? It'seems just like people don't like me because of my Mohawk hairstyle and all of them bold ))))
and now you've moved from knowing to understanding :)

cementary,

One more "Crucial Point" even when achieving on Press "Stable Micro Emulsion" this will not keep the plates Clean.

Regards, Alois

You're definitely don't read my posts. I'll repeat: we're printing successfully even with weird inks.
with good inks it's just great in all aspects.
even with long runs
on uncoated paper, wire side
with totally drunk pressman
and dumb customer behind him.
the only problem with sonora are damned scratches

you just can't believe that kodak created great plate which doesn't need gum

Hello cementary,

The reason for your euphoria is the fumes from using IPA ...... also with disregard for the

health and safety of the workforce also the environment.

Kodak didn't create D o P , they are just the latest progression from "Aqueous Developed Pre - sensitized Plates" from the 1980s

Regards, Alois

Hello cementary,

The reason for your euphoria is the fumes from using IPA ...... also with disregard for the

health and safety of the workforce also the environment.

Kodak didn't create D o P , they are just the latest progression from "Aqueous Developed Pre - sensitized Plates" from the 1980s

Regards, Alois

OK, Alois. Personally I believe that fumes from IPA and their hazard for health and environment is total bullshit.
I think this conversation has to be ended. I've heard your point and you've heard mine. That's totally ok that we didn't come to agreement

cementary,

Well, we might make you a Lithographer of you yet !!!!!!!!!!

Remember........... " From knowledge to competence is a great step ----- from ignorance to competence an even greater one "

Regards, Alois

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back