Anicolor presses compatible with metallic ink?

wyagow

Having trouble with printing 871 gold to match pms book. New ink. Beginning to wonder if the problem is the anilox roller concept. Unable to increase density with temp setting.

Having trouble with printing 871 gold to match pms book. New ink. Beginning to wonder if the problem is the anilox roller concept. Unable to increase density with temp setting.

I would agree that the anilox concept has limitations. Even though it seems like a great idea, I have never felt it was a good solution for offset for the future. Inks that are not close to the standard inks in strength etc., might require different anilox rollers to be able to feed the required amount of ink. This is also an issue in Flexo too.

One can do better with modifications to the existing offset concept, both in the roller train and ink feed design.

Just as an example, here is a video of a test with metallic ink on a conventional offset press, where the ink feed of the metallic ink is adjustable and is very consistent.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYWZEPMzQr6Bquvnlj28Kiw

The video is for the ITB, which might be hard to see since there is not much to the concept.

It may be that it's because the PMS book was printed by a dry offset press.

My press came with 10 cell rollers and 1 12 cell roller. I may have to try the 12 cell. Not sure if it will help enough though to obtain the density needed as I am very light on color already.

Some inks have a hard time running to full strength, requiring either compromises in density or a double hit. Most metallics and day glow inks are this way. Have you had success in the past printing metallics to full strength? If so then try another manufactures 871. Or you could always do what I do, which is to either try running 872 or a mix of 871 and 872. This will allow you to come up with a denser appearance without having to push so much ink. The slightly warmer hue of 872 will not be noticed unless you were super anal and looking for it.

Agreed you have some great ideas of which I've tried all of them except the double hit. That may have worked for me although they have now moved the job to CD-6 which gives them room to adjust color density. Anicolor is a great press with the 4 color process format but when it comes to running PMS colors its hit or miss.

Hi Wayne, I had the same issue a few weeks ago, I changed my screen roller for a 14 meter cell one and it didn't changed anything on my print, I did make a mixture of 872/873 but that also didn't wk, the hic is that the job is was printing was just a little logo at about 10 mm , anyway seems like you changed your mail again, I've try to msg u a fews days ago but couldn't

im not familiar with the limitations of an anicolor press but I am very familiar with speedmasters, and I can assure you that running metallics and day glow inks up to full strength can be a challenge even when using all the tricks at your disposal. The problem is that you can usually push the limits of the inker to get a color match, but once you start running the problems begin. You may be able to keep the density up for 500 to 1000 sheets but eventually the inker just quits on you. Very hard to maintain a stable emulsion for long with these inks at full density. You can try running the dampener separate from the inker and that may help for a little bit but eventually stability will be compromised and things will start going south. If you have room on the sheet a large take off bar, this will help if the gold coverage is light. This large takeoff bar will allow a steady rate of replenishment to the inker and help in stabilizing the emulsion.

We have extensive experience in printing metal paints on an anicolor. I can recommend:
- use anilox 14
- printing speed 8000 - 10,000 sheets per hour
- use inks with a minimum pigment size. Our supplier supplies inks Flint groups
- minimum supply of fountain solution.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back