Rollers!! (why,why)

Ok guys and gals, I run a MOV 4/color with Alcolor damp. (No alcohol) I need rollers bad and a good set. Was running Parmarco rollers till the reps were terminated. Got all new rollers from Heidelberg in all units figuring I was getting the best, was I wrong, (3 months in the press and already in ruff shape).. Any suggestions??? Is Bottcher the way to go??

I agree with Alois. Today's rollers are made to endure many many months of rough service and still perform. There must be a roller setting/maintenance issue or bad wash up practices or some form of issue with your roller wash. Did you perform a 'Swell test' on your wash/fountain solution. This could tell you if you have a reaction to your solvent. Look within

Last edited:
This is the funny thing.. We only run a one shift shop, I usually only order rollers every year and a half, since our roller rep got terminated from parmarco, we do not get them any more so we went through Heidelberge, in two months time all rollers mostly red forms have cut lines through out the rollers, I'm assuming this is from the final polishing of the surface due to build up on the emery cloth..I called heidelberg they came in looked at the rollers agreed that it was not the press or chemicals, or settings, but, they will not stand behind their product. I also found out that the rollers are ACORN rollers which I thought went out a long time ago.. I'm very picky on Maintenance on the press and very thorough. Just wanted to get some Ideas on getting the best roller I can. I also found out that Heidy took bids since they dropped Bottcher and come to find out that acorn got one of the deals.. So what do you think is the best roller..
Thanks
Mike

What roller companies do you have that are fairly close to your plant. Bottcher are great rollers and we use them in our 40" Komoris and Heidelbergs.

I believe you are right on getting bottcher rollers, I ran them before but, i had to resend the Water pan rollers back due to stub shaft on the wrong side, also it looked liked the pan rollers fell out of the back of the truck.. I think they have new drivers and rep for this area.. (MICH). I was trying to get a feel to what is out there!!

Some of the other companies I have used are American Roller and Rotadyne. both made some decent performing rollers. Couple of others are Pacestter and Technorol although I have no experience with those.

I heard of rotadyne, in fact the roller rep that worked for parmarco suggested to me on getting them, but warned me they are a 1yr roller.

With good roller maintenance, wash up procedures and correct settings along with solvents that are not too harsh most rollers will last a long time.

mikwil2000,

Question: 1) Are all these "Cut Lines" in identical position on all <Plate Inkers> in every unit ??

2) Have you taken a random Inker out and examined these "Cut Lines" and checked for Aluminum "Swarf" that might be embedded - use your 10+ Mag Loupe ??

3) Check any Cross Tie Bars in the roller trains for any Debris or Build - up etc

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
Good question Alois, The cut lines are in every unit,but very diff.. I had this problem before when I ran test rollers for parmarco. it was determined that they were using the emery cloth to long causing a build up which caused these lines, kinda like using sand paper when sanding it will build up in certain areas causing a score or cut in this case. Hope I'm explaining it good enough.. I will try to send a pic. This is on all rollers in press except water rollers.

[No message]

Attachments

• photo6493.jpg
    photo6493.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 265
Good morning guys, Alois to your question, the answer is yes to some degree, but faint, I did mentioned to the upper mang. that the rollers looked defective in a way, before putting them in.. The very strange part is, when I set rollers i always back off to the vibrators before putting in and then bring down like you should, I don't just throw them in, it took me at least five tries to get an even stripe, now, on our 2/color 40 inch the pressman had the same problem. actually he mentioned that these rollers seemed different when setting them. (he was right). Also when tech came in from Heidelberg we check the durometer 38-40.. (remember the rollers are only two months old).
Aliibryan, you are right on what you said caring for rollers, on appearance, the last set of rollers I got lasted a very long time with no problems. All of our chem has been checked way below VOC and flash point, I believe the problem could be, the rollers came in with defects (lines or cuts) when solvent and ink fills these cuts it penetrates even further into the roller causing swelling thus contaminated the rollers.( Remember I also showed Hedelberg this right after putting in).28 years of printing and I'm stumped. I just hope they stand behind it, alot of money at stake..

you mentioned the possibility of solvent causing rollers to swell and show more of the defect that was only faintly visible during installation. Have you noticed a need to back off a bit on the roller settings. If the rollers were as you say ,swelling, then they would need adjustment as they got larger.
Have you noticed any small metallic specs imbedded in the rollers? Ive seen this happen when plates get cut down to fit on a different format press. Edges cut in house would not be as clean as a cut from the plate manufacturer.

Last edited:
Tom, the weird part is I have to readjust the rollers a lot due to shrinking, Now that the rollers have been in for awhile there is minimum adjustment.
I took out one unit of rollers on Friday to inspect even further I did not notice any fragments but I did a durometer test only one roller was reading 25. All rollers had the cut line in them, which i had suspected, also starting to pit. Heidi informed us that good news is coming. I hope they are right.. Thank you for the suggesting I will let you know the out come..
Mike

Ok guys and gals, I run a MOV 4/color with Alcolor damp. (No alcohol) I need rollers bad and a good set. Was running Parmarco rollers till the reps were terminated. Got all new rollers from Heidelberg in all units figuring I was getting the best, was I wrong, (3 months in the press and already in ruff shape).. Any suggestions??? Is Bottcher the way to go??

Not sure exactly where you are, but we always used Advanced Roller in Southern California. Awesome people, and always happy with the quality, speed and price for their recovers. Botcher was way more expensive and no better quality IMO. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call and send them a couple pix of your issues. They may be able to identify what is causing that. http://www.printing-press-rollers.com/

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back