Four Color Registration Drift

You wash blankets by hand or auto? Try wash by hand and dry thorough blankets -unless you tried that of course-

Alibryan...the numbers on the console do not reflect the movement (drift) she will drift back to perfect register in about 200 sheets without any input from me (console).

Junker 1984...A (ex) Heidelberg mechanic is to visit next week to replace the "tin can" vacuum/blower under feedboard and I will have him look into plate cylinder cicumferential mechanics double gearing issue.

Aquazi81...If lower tack ink solves problem (which it does not) what would that tell about the mechanics?

Manprint...good question, I use auto. Strange thing is that if I start up immediately after washing all, drift is about half a dot per color, but if I wash all, then stop for 15-30 minutes for lunch, the colors are a fulll dot or so apart. I usually was blankets after any break in production, not before.

Thank you all, and I too am surprised to hear from no Heidelberg mechanics.

P.S. Turbotom...I agree with what you say, but here's the thing: we also have a '95 5-color 28" Komori. It is one hell of a physical workout to run, BUT when you get her in register, she does not even THINK about drifting around, no matter what you do-I refer to it as 'rock solid' and I love that. Why can't my Heidi do that?

I suppose production room is in a stable temp/environment? After you wash blankets run her with rollers on for say 1 min to heat up and see how that goes or at your break leave at crawl speed -unless you do that- not stationary

Btw have you changed towers? say K to 2 etc?

Last edited:
Just my way of saying I'm a Heidelberg mechanic, as it was mentioned that there were none volunteering info on this thread. From what ive seen over the years, there are very few of us involved in these industry forums...maybe because so many of the press problems discussed really can't be done true justice in an online forum, as Alibryan alluded to. When an issue is brought up in this forum, and the solution is ambiguous, I try to draw off experience and toss out possibilities that are relevant to the problem. Hope you get this one figured out, I hate to see someone praising the abilities of a Komori over a Heidelberg :)

Very insightful, Alois. But Robb previously mentioned press electronics does not indicate the movement, hence, pot failure may surely be discounted as relative to this malfuncation :)

Last edited:
Thanks Junker1984, I see where you're coming from now.

Alois Senefelder...console shows no movement-it thinks all is fine. Perfect register always comes back within 200-500 sheets with no input from me. Of course I can't afford to lose that many sheets, so I am always chasing to make sheets at least acceptable.

Robb -

Stupid questions - BUT

1)You manually achieve register via press console ?

2) Running good sheets - then register shifts ?

3) Is there any pattern as to when miis - register occurs - how many sheets ?

4) Do any of the colours in register - K+C but mis-register to M+Y /

Robb - I've done very little service work on PM/SM52 machines over the years, but I know on most SM machines there is a grease zirc on the front face of the inner gear of the plate cylinder double gear assembly. This zirc lubricates the brass bushing the outer gear rides on...if the bush is dry, it will cause just what you're experiencing. Rotate the press, and look at the outer face of the gear assembly watching for the zirc. If you see one, lubricate with a high quality synthetic grease. NOT WHITE LITHIUM!

Last edited:
Aha, I see it there and shot them all full of grease-did not know of them. I will watch for improvement! Thanks.

Junker, et.al......5 days after greasing, I thought the drift was lessening, but so slight that I felt maybe I was kidding myself...10 days after, I was sure it is better, and now, about 15-20 days in, it is at least 50% better. My guess is that it will continue to improve. Even now it is so much better that it's a huge relief.
Once again, a press problem turns out to be operator error.

Thank you all.

Hi Robb - Having not seen any postings from you recently, I was wondering if you were seeing the results you just posted and, not wanting to jump to conclusions before you knew there was truly improvement, waited to share your results...or, you were just helping me save face for steering you in the wrong direction and being cocky about it :). Guess we put the train back on the tracks! Great news, Robb.

That there is, alibryan. Over the years, I've run across many repair instances that could have been avoided if the pressmen had received the instruction that was standard in the past. Now, its "Joe quit yesterday, Rob, you're on the 29" Heidelberg starting tomorrow".

That there is, alibryan. Over the years, I've run across many repair instances that could have been avoided if the pressmen had received the instruction that was standard in the past. Now, its "Joe quit yesterday, Rob, you're on the 29" Heidelberg starting tomorrow".

and every print job is urgent when it's on press, though sometimes it stays in the postpress for weeks.
No time for preventive maintenance.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back