Small 4 colour offset press

Leonard

I'm looking for a small 4-colour offset press. I keep seeing the Ryobi 3304HA pop up but not sure when/if these are still made or and if a used machine will be far too old. My budget is about £20k so assuming I'll have to go for a used press. Any recommendations for the Ryobi or similar?

I don't mind paying less for a press and using the rest for parts and a service as I'd know it's good-to-go then.

Thank you so much, that gives me a lot to consider.

what type of printing (large solids, screens, etc.) that you're trying to do.

Resolution/sharpness isn't very critical but I'd like to have the option for picture gradients and solid colors. General business and home prints like magazines flyers etc.

the 3304 doesn't have cylinder bearers
Not sure if this is a problem but I'll do some research.

There are some known issues with the dampening system on that machine

Yes, I hear people have replace it with a "Kompact" or other dampening system. I'm assuming all 3304 model/years have this issue.

Not sure if this is a problem but I'll do some research.

In the long term your cylinder journals will be more prone to wear and tear and cause print quality issues.

My suggestion would be to buy a GTO or SM52 , much more productive and reliable.

You would be hard pushed to get a 4col speedmaster for 20k pounds, (well you would not get one for $40k New Zealand dollars in this part of the world) it would have to be absolutely rooted.

Thanks all,
your cylinder journals will be more prone to wear and tear and cause print quality issues.
Assuming these aren't economical to replace on the Ryobi or keep in working condition.

I've seen a lot of GTO for around the 6k mark, four of them will be around my budget. Can these be linked or will I need to do each color separate?

Any things to look out for on the GTO or year/models to avoid?

If I understand correctly you saw single color GTO's for around 6K mark. If that's the case then no, you cant link those GTO's.
If you buy a single color GTO, you will have to run a four color Job 4 times (one color at a time).

In GTO there are two different size models, GTO 46 and GTO 52. I would prefer 52 for the bigger size and resale value.
Also there are many different dampening systems installed on GTO's like, Alcolor, Conventional, Kompaq, DDS etc.
My advice would be to buy the Alcolor version as its Heidelberg original dampening system and very easy to control and master.
Some GTO's are installed with numbering and perforating units too which might be helpful in certain jobs.
I'll suggest you to get the machine inspected for any mechanical or electrical issues before buying. You can hire a former Heidelberg engineer to do this or at least someone who knows the stuff.
Don't forget to do a print test before buying if machine is in production.

In my opinion year of manufacture is less important, though try to find a press from 90's. A press of an older year but well maintained is better than a newer press if its not maintained properly.

And if I'm not wrong you can also get a Komori Sprint in this budget.

hope this helps.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back