Yellow ink contamination?

Hello turbotom,

"Time to Spill the Beans" ................

A) Roller Lubrication Paste: A Gelled combine of Anti-skinning/Anti-oxidant Paste.

B) Fundamental: We used Pre-sensitized Plates, other factors contribute to the success - Skill and Expertize.

Regards, Alois

Hello turbotom,

"Time to Spill the Beans" ................

A) Roller Lubrication Paste: A Gelled combine of Anti-skinning/Anti-oxidant Paste.

B) Fundamental: We used Pre-sensitized Plates, other factors contribute to the success - Skill and Expertize.

Regards, Alois

I guess the manufacturer of this magical roller lube is going to remain anonymous. I thought the purpose of this forum was to share information Alois???
Either that , or no such paste exists.

Hello turotom,

"Oh ye of little faith" !!!!!

The reason I've not named the UK ink maker is the company no longer exists, taken over by one of the large

multi - national Ink Manufacturers.

I'm sure that D-ink man could replicate a Roller Lubrication Paste, are there independent ink makers still in the USA ?

I suggest that the "On press" plate problems you experience emanate from - Chem-free/Low Chem/ DoP , CtP Plates.

e.g. Picture Framing Problems !

Regards, Alois

Hello turotom,

"Oh ye of little faith" !!!!!

The reason I've not named the UK ink maker is the company no longer exists, taken over by one of the large

multi - national Ink Manufacturers.

I'm sure that D-ink man could replicate a Roller Lubrication Paste, are there independent ink makers still in the USA ?

I suggest that the "On press" plate problems you experience emanate from - Chem-free/Low Chem/ DoP , CtP Plates.

e.g. Picture Framing Problems !

Regards, Alois

How convenient that the supplier is no longer in business. How bout a stroll down memory lane, where you share the name of the supplier???

All right let's formulate.

Roller Lube Paste:
Medium, slight gel linseed offset varnish 48%
Heavy body, low or no voc linseed/soy based varnish 25%
Petrolatum or Fanoline ( Nothing but Vaseline) 25%
Anti-Oxidant (old Favorite EUGENOL- simply oil of cloves) 2%

Your pressroom will smell good and your rollers will hum a precision tune.

D Ink Man

I know I’m a little late to the party, but I believe all the suggestions posted here are dealing with the symptoms and not the root cause. If you are getting contamination in the yellow, odds are you are also contaminating m and c as well, though not as noticeable. Here’s what’s happening: your plates are running too dry. Look at your blankets. If you see “picture farming “ outdide the dimensions of the sheet, that is confirmation that you are running too dry. Also, scumming the first few startup sheets is a yellow flag that your water settings are too low. Wet ink from previous units naturally transfers a little to subsequent units, and because there is not enough moisture on the plate to repel the ink, that ink that has traveled from previous units migrates to the plate, ink train, and ultimately fountain. The heavier the coverage, the more noticeable the contamination will be. Someone suggested that no pressman should run ink zones outside the image area on 0. Actually, when properly adjusted, a zero setting still feeds a very light ink film. My suggestions are to make sure your water rollers are running fast enough and metering rollers are not too tight. Check your dampening solution temperature and conductivity. Temps above 70 will usually cause problems. Many modern one-step solutions will also accept additives to help make the water “wetter.” Also, if you are conditioning your incoming water you may need to add hardener, or conditioner. Finally, make sure fans ir air conditioning is not blowing into the print units. Of course, all of this assumes that the rollers and roller settings are in good form.

I know I’m a little late to the party, but I believe all the suggestions posted here are dealing with the symptoms and not the root cause. If you are getting contamination in the yellow, odds are you are also contaminating m and c as well, though not as noticeable. Here’s what’s happening: your plates are running too dry. Look at your blankets. If you see “picture farming “ outdide the dimensions of the sheet, that is confirmation that you are running too dry. Also, scumming the first few startup sheets is a yellow flag that your water settings are too low. Wet ink from previous units naturally transfers a little to subsequent units, and because there is not enough moisture on the plate to repel the ink, that ink that has traveled from previous units migrates to the plate, ink train, and ultimately fountain. The heavier the coverage, the more noticeable the contamination will be. Someone suggested that no pressman should run ink zones outside the image area on 0. Actually, when properly adjusted, a zero setting still feeds a very light ink film. My suggestions are to make sure your water rollers are running fast enough and metering rollers are not too tight. Check your dampening solution temperature and conductivity. Temps above 70 will usually cause problems. Many modern one-step solutions will also accept additives to help make the water “wetter.” Also, if you are conditioning your incoming water you may need to add hardener, or conditioner. Finally, make sure fans ir air conditioning is not blowing into the print units. Of course, all of this assumes that the rollers and roller settings are in good form.

I was the guy that suggested that you shouldn't run your ink setting on zero. And you are correct in saying that if the fountain is properly calibrated then a zero setting should feed a small bit of ink. The point I was trying to make, is that some ink needs to feed into inker, even inline with zero coverage in that ink zone. The proper amount of ink to be fed into a non coverage zone can, even on a properly calibrated ink fountain deviate from its zero setting. Ive seen at times quite a bit of ink feed required, to keep the fountains free of feedback ink. Many times I've witnessed a very light area of coverage require much more ink than even a fully seasoned pressman would initially set up for. These are the jobs where I've scratched my head in wonderment as to where all this damn ink is going!!!

Ive seen at times quite a bit of ink feed required, to keep the fountains free of feedback ink. Many times I've witnessed a very light area of coverage require much more ink than even a fully seasoned pressman would initially set up for. These are the jobs where I've scratched my head in wonderment as to where all this damn ink is going!!!

And when you stop the press for feeding paper or blanket wash, suddenly all the ink comes back onto paper as somebody accidentally poured ink directly on rollers.

That's because the 'fully seasoned pressman' somehow forgot the fundamentals of ink/water balance. Lol.

please share your secret for avoiding this phenomenon on the occasional job, shy of having pre press image large take off bars onto the plates for every job with light coverage??? Unless of course your always running posters or full coverage jobs like packaging. In which case you'd rarely be exposed to the challenges of having to deal with ultra light coverage. Proper ink water balance just about sets itself when your printing gripper to tail ink coverage!!!

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

....... I thought WE set the "Ink/Water Balance " now "Magic is involved "

I also suggest that some investment in "Zonal Dampening Control" would be a good idea ?

Regards, Alois

Gentlemen,

....... I thought WE set the "Ink/Water Balance " now "Magic is involved "

I also suggest that some investment in "Zonal Dampening Control" would be a good idea ?

Regards, Alois

no magic involved here Alois. The point I'm making as that ink heavy ink coverage is usually a no brainer when it comes to getting color. As far as water balance that usually follows the ink with a minor adjustment up or down. The point being is that its harder to control ink and water on lighter coverage jobs. Ive found that on heavy coverage a color correction usually shows itself in under 100 sheets where light coverage may require significantly more.

Hello turbo,

Yes agreed, ..... but we should understand the Mechanics of the Various Dampening Systems and The Chemistry of Lithography and their Impacts on the Process.

Regards, Alois

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back