What is it called in the UK?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16349
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16349

In North America, the roller that takes ink from the ink fountain roller is called the ductor roller. I think that in the UK, the ductor roller is the term used for the ink fountain roller.

I can not remember for sure what the NA ductor roller is called in the UK.

I want to explain something to someone in the UK and want to avoid confusion with using a term that has different meanings in different locations.

So what is a clear term in the UK for that roller that takes ink from the ink fountain roller and transfers it to the roller train?

Thanks.

Hello Erik,

I agree with "Cornish"

1) UK terminology ----- INK DUCT comprises an integral rotaing Steel Roller = Ink Duct Roller

2) DUCTOR Roller is the one that moves to and from the "Duct" contacting the roller train.

Regards, Alois

Hello Erik,

I agree with "Cornish"

1) UK terminology ----- INK DUCT comprises an integral rotaing Steel Roller = Ink Duct Roller

2) DUCTOR Roller is the one that moves to and from the "Duct" contacting the roller train.

Regards, Alois

Brilliant, as they say. That clarifies perfectly the confusion in the terms that I have had for a long time.

Thanks to you both.

I believe the term Ink ball has been used in the past to describe the ink fountain roller. The term is about 600 years old and refers to the leather Ball used to apply ink to the raised type in Letterpress printing.

Attachments

• photo7024.jpg
    photo7024.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 225
I believe the term Ink ball has been used in the past to describe the ink fountain roller. The term is about 600 years old and refers to the leather Ball used to apply ink to the raised type in Letterpress printing.

CP, I thoght was called a dabber? We'll let Erik dabble into this one.

D

CP, I thoght was called a dabber? We'll let Erik dabble into this one.

D

This is getting to be fun to see all the twisted terms in use. When I was involved with Dry Offset (not Waterless Offset), they used the term dabber roller to describe the ductor roller. At the time, I thought that was strange but can now see how some terms has come from different historical printing origins.

I do think its a regional thing. Ive spent most of my career in the northeastern United States and the steel roller that turns in the ink fountain has always been to me known as the ink ball, or the ink fountain roller. The reciprocating rubber roller that feeds ink between the "ink ball" and the roller train has been known to me as the "ink ductor". The back and forth motion of the ink ductor, as well as the back and forth motion of the old school conventional dampening systems reciprocating roller, has been known to me as "ducting"

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back