How to reduce friction on metalized paper surface

thaiha

Dear team,
Our product is printed on metalized paper ( paper laminate with metalize film) we have problem with friction, it is only happen with paper low thickness (thin), we try to reduce temperature at metalization process but it can not reduce friction. Anybody have experience with this issue pls help me.
​​​​​​​Thanks

Hello thaiha,

1) The problem you are having is more likely to be one of "Static Electricity " ---- Friction 2) what do you mean by "Reduce temperature at Metalization" ???? 3) What is the main problem ... poor control of the substrate ???

I do understand that English is not your first language, using Printing Terminology does help.

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
I just want to share our process:
Paper --> laminate with film metalize --> printing on metalized surface.
The problem is metalized paper can not come to feeder as normal.
We think, the problem come from high temperature at lamination process, then we reduce temperature but it can not help.

Is this a sheetfed press or a web press?
If this is in fact as Alois says Static there are a few things you may want to try. Web presses need grounding especially at the unwind and festoon section to control static, Control of relative humidity is a must, fitting anti static bars works on web presses.
Sheetfed press feeder mechanism can be draped with metallic tinsel or there are commercially available products that do the same job.
Air at the feeder should be deionized or treated with something like this.
http://www.ionixtechnologies.com/printing.html

Your explanation of the problem is pretty vague, If the issue is that your method of curing is creating too much heat, I would assume you are printing with UV inks.
You need to supply the group with more details so that hopefully someone can help you better.
Good luck

1/ that is sheetfed press
Metalized paper stick together then feeder of printing machine can not take paper in to machine

I just assume that, at our lamination process there is something wrong with heat, lead to after lamination, matalized paper stick together, but it is wrong.

If you need to get through this single job I would suggest finding a way to dissipate the static charge that can build on the sheet. There are few ways to do this that offer varying levels of success. A search on this forum would likely turn up the more common methods. If you print on these types of specialty substrates with any regularity I would suggest as follows.... have installed on your press a static eliminator system on the feeder end. There are a few different ways to do this. One way is with a static bar across the width of the sheet just behind the feeders forwarding wheels. The other method is to ionize the blast air before it blows on the sheets to separate them at the feeder head. My last suggestion would be to control the conditions that can lead to high static levels to include proper climate control, and of equal importance a sheet that has the proper dyne levels to not only feed well, but also to be receptive to ink.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back