Weird bricking problem on Stone Paper

Well, there is a company that begins with the letter "H" that will sell you an entire package of consumables that will fit neatly in the back receiving dock of your printing establishment. In fact the bean counters of these same printing establishments "Just Love It". They, the long sleeved, well dressed accountants present this neatly bundled "low cost" commitment product to the owners and CEO's and they think, "WOW!", we can really same some $$$$ here.

Unfortunately, the manicured ties don't have to end up being the homo sapiens that need to use these bundled very discounted products everyday to produce a sellable, proud of printing product. So, the worker men on the machines complain, righteously when something goes wrong. Too bad for them, because a 3-5 contract to use these consumables has already been etched in stone and is non-revocable, So the "H" men do respond. They send in some rep, that smells good, also is beautifully dressed in cuff links, tie and 300$ Italian dress shoes. Not to be deterred. He has his full service kit with him to SOLVE the problem. He has the American Express card (to satiate all appetites and quenching of one's thirst), Pizza's LOADED with everything "For All Shifts", and as necessary will pull out those 4 50 yard line tickets to that "Big Game". Now that everyone is satisfied, he slips off in his Beamer to let the printing establishment enjoy his wonderful service that he has bestowed on all.

Are you starting to get the point folks? There is no way that a mass consumer supplier can possibly and effectively service a printer, because it is impossible for him to have the knowledge and experience related to each and every consumable that they provide and sell.

Now back to the "H" men. I cannot blame the "H" men for what they are doing. There is no way they can stay in business nowadays by just manufacturing and selling the nuts and bolts that the consumable run on. Got it? But who I can blame is the owners who make the decision to buy in to these discount deals. This is a main point why printing, not less of it because of the electronic digital age, is suffering. Enough of this now, we may have got off topic, but there will be someone who reads this and finds value in it. I know that.

Refocusing on the topic and this wonderful substrate, I ONCE bought a pair of shoes at the "W". You know where they were from. Lasted a week, threw them out. You get what you pay for.

Moral of the story is do not TieWainOn and buy shoes from the cheap, especially where your rubber (ink) meets the road (substrate). Instead become a criminal and steal the Italian loafers of the cologne guy or you could do something very smart with savvy........ Call...

D Ink Man

"H Guy"?? Hickenlooper? Heisenberg? Oh! The meth guy on Breaking Bad? I thought he died! That's show biz for ya. Maybe he's spiking the pizza with a little "blue", thereby all looks juuuuust fine.

Well, there is a company that begins with the letter "H" that will sell you an entire package of consumables that will fit neatly in the back receiving dock of your printing establishment. In fact the bean counters of these same printing establishments "Just Love It". They, the long sleeved, well dressed accountants present this neatly bundled "low cost" commitment product to the owners and CEO's and they think, "WOW!", we can really same some $$$$ here.

Unfortunately, the manicured ties don't have to end up being the homo sapiens that need to use these bundled very discounted products everyday to produce a sellable, proud of printing product. So, the worker men on the machines complain, righteously when something goes wrong. Too bad for them, because a 3-5 contract to use these consumables has already been etched in stone and is non-revocable, So the "H" men do respond. They send in some rep, that smells good, also is beautifully dressed in cuff links, tie and 300$ Italian dress shoes. Not to be deterred. He has his full service kit with him to SOLVE the problem. He has the American Express card (to satiate all appetites and quenching of one's thirst), Pizza's LOADED with everything "For All Shifts", and as necessary will pull out those 4 50 yard line tickets to that "Big Game". Now that everyone is satisfied, he slips off in his Beamer to let the printing establishment enjoy his wonderful service that he has bestowed on all.

Are you starting to get the point folks? There is no way that a mass consumer supplier can possibly and effectively service a printer, because it is impossible for him to have the knowledge and experience related to each and every consumable that they provide and sell.

Now back to the "H" men. I cannot blame the "H" men for what they are doing. There is no way they can stay in business nowadays by just manufacturing and selling the nuts and bolts that the consumable run on. Got it? But who I can blame is the owners who make the decision to buy in to these discount deals. This is a main point why printing, not less of it because of the electronic digital age, is suffering. Enough of this now, we may have got off topic, but there will be someone who reads this and finds value in it. I know that.

Refocusing on the topic and this wonderful substrate, I ONCE bought a pair of shoes at the "W". You know where they were from. Lasted a week, threw them out. You get what you pay for.

Moral of the story is do not TieWainOn and buy shoes from the cheap, especially where your rubber (ink) meets the road (substrate). Instead become a criminal and steal the Italian loafers of the cologne guy or you could do something very smart with savvy........ Call...

D Ink Man

Not for nothing D but I seem to remember a day when the scenario you describe was par for the course, with many of the consumable venders, both small and large. At least thats the way it OFTEN was in the market where I came of age in the industry. But then it was NYC Im talking about, where bribes and kickbacks were invented. I clearly remember when the kickback thing started coming to an end. Us guys in the pressroom were disappointed when the bottles of Dewars White Label were slowly fazed out in favor of the cheap California Chablis. In time the Chablis gave way to the box of Dunkin Donuts which wound up being all gone by the time the night shift got to work. The salesman still wore their Italian loafers, and slicked their hair back, but again... it was NYC. The big difference back then was most of the guys actually knew the product they were selling, as there was only a single product.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back