Do you use this term?

gordo

Do you use, or have ever heard the term "black printer" used to describe the press unit that prints black or the black separation in a CMYK image? Or is it an old-fashioned term?

Hello Gordo,

Answer .............. All - YES, widely used in the UK during my day

"Origination" KCMY Printing separations were words used in the Photo Litho Camera Dept. long before the word "Pre-Press" was even thought of !

and obviously through out the trade ...... lingua franca of the day.

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
Gordo and the Pre-Press Brigade !

Does any one look at the individual K.M.C.Y. PRINTER separations before the Plates are Imaged ????

Regards, Alois

Gordo and the Pre-Press Brigade !

Does any one look at the individual K.M.C.Y. PRINTER separations before the Plates are Imaged ????

Regards, Alois

Yes! - we used to do this for all jobs before we ran to film. We used to print them out on an A3 B&W printer for a final check. Usually to check overprint was ok. In those days the press runs were quite long so it was better to be safe than sorry.

Later on we ran the seps to a PDF for checking. Today I just use Output Preview if I want to be certain.

Black printer was a common term here in the northeastern U.S. Another term you don't here very often anymore, and its related to the "black printer" terminology, is PROGS. Used to be SOP to pull PROGS upon completion of every press run. These would be placed in the job ticket along with all required info in the event of a re run. These days most companies would not be willing to provide the additional couple of hundred sheets needed to pull progs.

Do you use, or have ever heard the term "black printer" used to describe the press unit that prints black or the black separation in a CMYK image? Or is it an old-fashioned term?

I am familiar with it as are our older press operators.

The younger folks in our shop will generally refer to the "black plate" even if they mean the layer of the digital file used to create the black plate. If they had film, I suspect they would still not refer to the image itself as the "black printer".

Mutantur tempora et mores.

I am familiar with it as are our older press operators.

The younger folks in our shop will generally refer to the "black plate" even if they mean the layer of the digital file used to create the black plate. If they had film, I suspect they would still not refer to the image itself as the "black printer".

Mutantur tempora et mores.

When did I become an old man? :-/

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back