Anyone tried doing embossing with an offset press?

appleday

I wonder if anyone has done paper embossing with a duplicator offset press? I know you can put a flexo plate on an offset. You attach it to the blanket cylinder and let the plate cylinder ink right up and do not use the water unit.

So I was thinking, if you don't ink the press up, attach a thin flexible copper sheet of a male to the blanket cylinder and a female sheet to the pressure cylinder. Wouldn't this work? You should be able to do embossing? Anyone have experience with this or heard of it?

I wonder if anyone has done paper embossing with a duplicator offset press? I know you can put a flexo plate on an offset. You attach it to the blanket cylinder and let the plate cylinder ink right up and do not use the water unit.

So I was thinking, if you don't ink the press up, attach a thin flexible copper sheet of a male to the blanket cylinder and a female sheet to the pressure cylinder. Wouldn't this work? You should be able to do embossing? Anyone have experience with this or heard of it?

I'm speculating here, but, I don't believe there is a way to attach anything to the impression cylinder. Also, copper is relatively soft and the positive die would likely get flattened under the pressure. There's a joke there but I can't quite articulate it.

Hmmm!!! You've got the wheels turning now. As far as mounting something to the impression cylinder it can be done. As a matter of fact its routinely done when you score or perforate using litho score or litho perf. Think score or perf rules adhered to a sheet of mylar. A very precise introduction of the mylar sheet into the guides, both front and side, can along with a coating of spray adhesive onto the impression cylinder, adhere the mylar in pretty decent register to the impression cylinder. I see no reason why an embossing form couldn't be prepared and mounted in a similar manner, then using an expendable blanket mounted in its usual place to provide the backing for the required impression.
Here are the challenges as I see them. First would be, a duplicator style press would most likely lack the mechanical adjustability, to allow precise introduction of the embossing form through the presses infeed system. What I remember about these presses are that most of them infeed the sheet through a series shaft mounted overfeed infeed cams. This form of infeed would have pretty limited adjustability when trying to infeed a form of the required thickness. Secondly there would be a serious lack of working space when trying to mount the form. Remember, that once you've got the form in place on the impression cylinder, you would need to be able to access the impression cylinder grippers BEFORE the handoff between that set of impression cylinders and either the transfer grippers or the delivery grippers as the case may be. This access would be required so that you could (with a blade) cut off the very gripper of your adhesive mounted form BEFORE the gripper transfer takes place to avoid just tearing your freshly prepared and mounted form from the cylinder.
Then of course your next challenge would be a lack of adjustability of many duplicator style presses when it comes to position of infeed. Adjusting register of the emboss would be very challenging if even possible once the form is mounted. A blind emboss, with room to spare would be a limiting factor.
To summarize... I think I could do it if given the required time, and a press that offers the adjustability and hand access needed. I don't think a duplicator style press would offer either. And I don't believe it would be in the budget to supply the required time to wack out all the details unless of course your plan was to make this process a regular thing.

Last edited:
Sounds like a disaster resulting in repairs to me.

schenkadere, Not to sound like a wise ass but it needs to be asked.... Have you any experience running a press or are you a suit? These are the sort of issues that are dealt with on a regular basis for a pressroom employee worthy of any title above button pusher. If your company doesn't have a hands on kinda guy with the know how to tackle a pretty straightforward task like this, then perhaps you should hire one. You may come to find that your pressroom will run much smoother with less money spent on calling in all kinds of consultants and such.

I'm speculating here, but, I don't believe there is a way to attach anything to the impression cylinder. Also, copper is relatively soft and the positive die would likely get flattened under the pressure. There's a joke there but I can't quite articulate it.

It can be added by 2 sided tape.

Hmmmm. I'm no pressman, but has my interest up. If you can perf, why couldn't you emboss? Maybe a really small impression at first? I am sure there can be a copper plate that would work. most likely thin backed impression in copper and bonded to Mylar. I have worked with printers for decades. Good idea friend. Would just take the right group to work through the problems. Yes there is risk. Sharp pressman at the E-stop? I don't know..... I have interest... My background is metallurgy and 35 years as machinist. Building automated equipment. 20 years for printers.... 15 years for my own business.

Yes did lots of perfs on plate n webbed direct.just remember no water forms on lol perf chew them up

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back