Unit price or total price?

kburton

Is there a better job success rate when quoting the unit or per piece price compared to what the total price for the job is?

In my experience it can go either way. Some poeple just want a final cost and don't care how you got there.

When our customers are reselling the product it seems to be more important at a per piece level. For example, we get the local artists looking to duplicate their work.

Then there's the customers that want to know every single charge and what they can skimp on to get a better price. Especially with things like mailing services. "I'll have my kids fold them and put them in the envelopes"

Then there's the customers that want to know every single charge and what they can skimp on to get a better price. Especially with things like mailing services. "I'll have my kids fold them and put them in the envelopes"

There's nothing wrong with such people, as I see it. BUT you have to make sure your charges cover their eccentricity.

Many times things like folding are done on-line with mailing, for example. Or boxing is not needed when mailing with trays, but IS needed when Billy and Bobbette show up to take the stuff home to get the kids to do it.

This can be dealt with by "loading forward" these eventualities: add the cost of boxing to the prior operation and deduct it from the next operation. This can make the next operation's price a bit more palatable and keeps you from losing your shirt if they want to be "frugal".

And THEN make sure they realize that if they take it away and return it for the later operations, the price will be higher than the quoted price: After all, you'll have to accept the stuff, make sure it's prepared properly, put things in sequence because little Charlie isn't good with numbers, etc.

There's nothing wrong with such people, as I see it. BUT you have to make sure your charges cover their eccentricity.

Many times things like folding are done on-line with mailing, for example. Or boxing is not needed when mailing with trays, but IS needed when Billy and Bobbette show up to take the stuff home to get the kids to do it.

This can be dealt with by "loading forward" these eventualities: add the cost of boxing to the prior operation and deduct it from the next operation. This can make the next operation's price a bit more palatable and keeps you from losing your shirt if they want to be "frugal".

And THEN make sure they realize that if they take it away and return it for the later operations, the price will be higher than the quoted price: After all, you'll have to accept the stuff, make sure it's prepared properly, put things in sequence because little Charlie isn't good with numbers, etc.

I just want to know how most printers show their pricing on quotes and if they get better results by showing as an overall Total, Price per M or Price per Each like the following examples: 5,000 Widgets = $399.00 or 5,000 Widgets = $79.80 per M or 5,000 Widgets = $.0798 each.

In our company show the prices for each unit. When there is a price increase and you mention it to the customer, this is more understandable if the increase is $ 0.01 in each unit instead of a $ 50 increase

I prefer the "Per M", or "each" instead of the full total only because, our major service is to print and mail.

In our line of work, I may be quoting on 25,000 pieces, but, the final mailing may only be 24,567 or even 26,350. It just depends on the mailing list received, and, the final count after the data work is done.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back