Recommended 29" press for running 24pt board

bhm8hwcm

We presently have a Ryobi 524GX + coater and spend 80% of our time running 24pt CCNB (Clay coated newsback stock). When I bought this press I did not look at other brands (ie.Heidelberg) as I liked the fact this small press had large transfer cylinders and was speced to run up to 24pt. Pricing was also very good. Overall I have been happy with the machine except for the fact there is really no Ryobi service in may area.

We are growing and I am looking to move up to a larger machine to run 20x28 24pt (or slightly larger if doable). As I have been happy with Ryobi I would consider them again. At the same time I want to consider other brands (Heidelberg, KBA maybe etc) and would like feedback on any comparisons if you know. I would be looking used...maybe something around 2010 or so if doable. I have not studied pricing yet so don't know the difference between Heidelberg versus Ryobi etc. I am thinking minimum 5C + coater but preferably 6C + coater.

Any thoughts on good presses for the 24pt? I hear KBA makes good packaging presses but I know there are even fewer of those in my neck of the woods so service could be an issue.

If you're looking for a used press, I would recommend a Heidelberg 74-CD Max sheet size 740x530mm (29"x21" approx) with Carton Dimension Cylinders
If it's a new press you're after, Heidelberg 75-CD which is slightly larger.

We traded a Ryobi 524 for an Indigo 3500 a couple of years ago, last I heard the Ryobi had not been sold. Contact Currie Group in Western Australia if you want to follow this up.

You might consider the AccurioPress KM-1. It can run up to 29.5" x 23" sheets and supports up to 24pt simplex, 18pt single pass duplex. It uses UV Inkjet cured with LED which means you can print on a virtually unlimited range of substrates with variable images since it's digital (no plates!). Lastly, it does have the option for an in-line coater. See more here: http://tiny.cc/accuriojetkm1

Last edited:
You might consider the AccurioPress KM-1. It can run up to 29.5" x 23" sheets and supports up to 24pt simplex, 18pt single pass duplex. It uses UV Inkjet cured with LED which means you can print on a virtually unlimited range of substrates with variable images since it's digital (no plates!). Lastly, it does have the option for an in-line coater. See more here: http://tiny.cc/accuriojetkm1

Can you pencil out the cost VS traditional? This thing looks cool, but I haven't seen much on the cost of operation. I'm sure UV inkjet ink manufactured by KM is many times that of traditional press UV ink. Isn't this much like the presstek model (we are the only source of consumables)? Secondly most modern offset presses use LED UV curing systems that archive the same exact result, but at 2-4 times the resolution.

We operate a Heidelberg XL-75 and this thing runs 24pt great. It’s rated for 32pt but we’ve never had occasion to run anything over 28pt. I think the Heidelberg 74 CD is the predecessor and might be more available on the used market though if that’s where you are at.

Thanks for the input so far. Sounds like Heidelberg is a very popular press for this application. In talking to a dealer recently he also suggested Komori which I had not been considering yet. I guess in the end much of it will come down to how much I want to spend.

I would suggest that you continue to look at press models with double sized cylinders such as the Heidelberg CD or Komori Lithrone among others. I have sold, installed, worked with many anti-marking products for many years (Super Blue, Shinoda ICP Films and Pearl-Tex to name a few) and have found that on heavy caliper stocks such as 24pt+ that the double sized cylinders will provide less headaches. With single sized cylinder machines you are reducing the diameter of the transfer cylinders by nearly 50% (more or less) which makes the sheet wrap tighter and usually results in marking issues that would not be a problem with a double sided cylinder. The issues I find with "cylinder-less" presses such as KBA is lighter weight stocks can sometimes be an issue, but at the same time a good option.

Look for machines with double printing cylinders exactly as they are indicated.
For sizes B2:
Heidelberg has models XL75 and CD74
Roland has the 500 series and some models of the 200 series (I think they are the "E" models). We have a B1 700 and it goes very well for cardboard up to 1 mm thick. Used Roland machines have good prices.
KBA Rapida 74 and 75. Better if they have the equipment for cardboard "CX"

whatever press you choose I would strongly suggest that you work out a way to run long grain stock whenever possible. Availability of long grain stock in this format can be a little problematic. You might have to purchase your stock in a extra large format and quarter it in order to be able to get it in a long grain configuration.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back