Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Curve Modern Presses...

Not sure if anyone has been through anything similar, but we will be adding a new 4C press in the not too distant future and I am wondering how hard it will be for a veteran pressman that is used to running presses from the 80s and 90s with virtually no automation.

When you say new, is that just new to your company, or is it a brand new press? If it's brand new, the manufacturer will include training to help you out. If it isn't, I would recommend having a demonstrator from the manufacturer, come in for that. Either way, you will definitely need some proper training to get you up and going on some of this 'new to you' automation and technology.

The automation won't be too much different (basically just easier), but depending on what press you're getting, the technology might be. I don't know how much, or what kind of experience you already have with different presses, so the amount of change that's coming will also depend on that. It's not too much different in terms of actual printing, you just have to have an open mind to change, and a willingness to learn the new tech. While some guys seem to struggle with it - either they don't like it, or they're unable to learn some of the new changes, I think that most people embrace it, and use it to their advantage. It really just depends on you.

If you're nervous about the new press, you might think about it like this; if a rookie to the business can learn this new equipment and be able to produce high quality results, then just think what it will be like for someone who has years of experience, and an understanding of offset printing. In some ways, your past experience with having to do things the hard way, may actually be an advantage for you. Some of those things that you've been forced to learn, that aren't always necessary on a day to day basis with the new presses, you already know about.

IMO though, these modern presses are nothing but a pleasure to operate. Of course it's still going to be offset printing (still the occasional headache, now and then), but they have taken this awesome craft that we know, to a whole new level.

Comment

it all boils down to the old school press crews computer literacy. Ive seen many old school pressmen struggle with the learning curve, when they have in the past shown a resistance to new technologies. If you've got a guy that has just dug in his heels and refused to get one of them new fangled smart phones then ill bet he or she will struggle with the technology. Ive also seen these same types only learn what's needed to get a sheet through the press, never coming even close to utilizing all of the new presses capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotom1052 View Post
        it all boils down to the old school press crews computer literacy. Ive seen many old school pressmen struggle with the learning curve, when they have in the past shown a resistance to new technologies. If you've got a guy that has just dug in his heels and refused to get one of them new fangled smart phones then ill bet he or she will struggle with the technology. Ive also seen these same types only learn what's needed to get a sheet through the press, never coming even close to utilizing all of the new presses capabilities.
        And I’ve seen old school press crews have no difficulty learning new press skills and utilizing all of the new press capability.

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post

And I’ve seen old school press crews have no difficulty learning new press skills and utilizing all of the new press capability.
          I was one of them

Comment

Gentlemen,

I also learned the benefits of Press Automation, but I learned on Web Offset Presses. Which the present day sheet-fed presses have installed.

Computer Control Inking Systems were introduced on Web Presses in the 1970s and Register Controls also Closed Loop control.

My Sheet-fed days everything on the press was manual.

Regards, Alois
            Last edited by Alois Senefelder; 11-20-2018, 10:26 AM. Reason: ************

Comment

Originally posted by turbotom1052 View Post
              Puny Humans!

Comment

Unconfigured Static HTML Module

Collapse

Static HTML Module Content
              4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBAUltimateTharstern
              KBAKBA

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4526 users online. 106 members and 4420 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
              X