Learning Curve Modern Presses...

kdw75

Not sure if anyone has been through anything similar, but we will be adding a new 4C press in the not too distant future and I am wondering how hard it will be for a veteran pressman that is used to running presses from the 80s and 90s with virtually no automation.

it all boils down to the old school press crews computer literacy. Ive seen many old school pressmen struggle with the learning curve, when they have in the past shown a resistance to new technologies. If you've got a guy that has just dug in his heels and refused to get one of them new fangled smart phones then ill bet he or she will struggle with the technology. Ive also seen these same types only learn what's needed to get a sheet through the press, never coming even close to utilizing all of the new presses capabilities.

it all boils down to the old school press crews computer literacy. Ive seen many old school pressmen struggle with the learning curve, when they have in the past shown a resistance to new technologies. If you've got a guy that has just dug in his heels and refused to get one of them new fangled smart phones then ill bet he or she will struggle with the technology. Ive also seen these same types only learn what's needed to get a sheet through the press, never coming even close to utilizing all of the new presses capabilities.

And I’ve seen old school press crews have no difficulty learning new press skills and utilizing all of the new press capability.

Gentlemen,

I also learned the benefits of Press Automation, but I learned on Web Offset Presses. Which the present day sheet-fed presses have installed.

Computer Control Inking Systems were introduced on Web Presses in the 1970s and Register Controls also Closed Loop control.

My Sheet-fed days everything on the press was manual.

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
I went for doing every thing manual on as goss,to automatation, auto ink levers auto registration splicers ECT you will get hang of easy,only issue is automation is one less press man

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back