LED UV input

Alith7

We are looking at converting our Ryobi 5-color 755XL Packaging edition to LED UV with a coater.
we are looking at either the GEW system or the AMS system.
Looking for input from anyone actually running either system (or experience with both).

One of our biggest concerns is that with the packaging edition press, the collapsible drum system can add a few complications to the positioning of the LED units.
Also, we are looking at getting two LED units, one after the 1st unit, and one after the coater.

Thank you for your help!

I would consider installing lamps at end of press (after last print unit) and after coater. The UV equipment supplier can give you the best suggestions as they have installed hundreds of units I expect.

Last edited:
We have done 3 LED UV conversions in our plant. Actually we were approximately the 3rd conversion in North America back in 2012 so we have a lot of experience with LED. In terms of configuration the possibilities are endless, it really depends what work you do. Ours were purchased from AMS,. all long perfectors. If you are serious about LED...do yourself a favour and go to print UV at the end of March. You will leave that conference fully informed!!

We have done 3 LED UV conversions in our plant. Actually we were approximately the 3rd conversion in North America back in 2012 so we have a lot of experience with LED. In terms of configuration the possibilities are endless, it really depends what work you do. Ours were purchased from AMS,. all long perfectors. If you are serious about LED...do yourself a favour and go to print UV at the end of March. You will leave that conference fully informed!!

Thank you for the input! I know we were discussing Print UV.
any Pros / Cons with the AMS that stand out to you?

We would never go with any other supplier for LED. If you look back these guys are the ones that pioneered LED in the printing world. The company is very well run, the start-up is painless and teh systems do exactly what they say they will. The only con is that it is expensive technology. We would never even entertain the idea of going back to conventional ink. Any specific questions...just ask away.

Thank you, I will pass this info on and let you know if there are any other questions.
AMS is not far from us in Wisconsin, so that added to the draw of using them.

We also converted our long perfector with AMS and have had great success. The pressman will never go back to conventional ink. Are you going to Print UV ?

We are not going to get to Print UV this year. We're swamped right now, and only found out about it a little bit ago.
Also, I got to go to SGIA last fall, so two vegas trips in 6 months was more than the boss wanted to do.
I'm good with that many Vegas trips, but I'm too busy atm.

As far as configuration goes you don't necessarily have to add extra LED lamps to do many different things. For example.... we generally perfect 4/4 or 5/5 and this would be 90% of our work. For this we have LED lamp after the perfector and one in the delivery. We get the odd job where we are printing on clear Poly so we have a lamp docking station after unit 2. This means you take the lamp from the perfector and move it to the docking station in unit 2 (takes a couple minutes) Then you can run 2 hits of opaque white...cure it and run 6 colors on top of the cured white then cure the 6 colors at the delivery lamp. So you can have as many docking stations as you want, although it would get pricy.

@tomatron Can I email you a couple questions about the LED UV? We did get the AMS system installed last year after a couple months of ridiculous installation problems, but have had very little success in running the LED UV. Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, we do have to switch back and forth from conventional, though not often.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back