Goss Community ink key question

Hello Gordo,

Basically, Ink Key Levers are OK but with the "Proviso" that it's used with a Segmented Ink Duct Blade.

Regards, Alois

Hello Gordo,

Basically, Ink Key Levers are OK but with the "Proviso" that it's used with a Segmented Ink Duct Blade.

Regards, Alois

It’s not Ok (at least for me) watching a press operator eyeballing plates and then fiddling the levers to set the ink and get up to density especially when the runs are short (less than 2000 sheets). I’m trying to see if a retro fit can help bring some consistency to the process and maybe reduce wastage a bit.

BTW do you have a Community manual you could post? I think you posted something like that a while ago.

Hello Gordo,

I REPEAT ..... to gain any benefit from Ink key presetting systems you have to understand the "Mechanics of Ink Ducts (Fountain)" and the Hydrostatic Forces acting on the Ink Flow in the Duct

I will post what info I have re - Goss Presses.

Regards, Alois

This is why the use of a Segmented Ink Duct Blade is crucial. Then Ink presetting becomes more achievable and Ink Density more stable

Alois

Last edited:
Anyone here have experience with Quick Set Corporation's retro fit ink key levers (http://quicksetcorporation.com/leverretrofits.html) for Goss Community presses? Also, their ink key presetting solution (http://quicksetcorporation.com/inksetting.html)?

I'd appreciate hearing your experience (even if it's not on a Goss)

Gordon, I have looked at this some time ago. In general, the lever concept seems to be a clever modification if there are only the old screw key mechanisms. Certainly having a simple scale on the lever system to adjust the ink zone is more helpful than having the key screws which don't have a scale to set to. The lever system is still crude IMO.

I will send you an email with my comments regarding their presetting solution. I will also try to send you a copy of my 1997 TAGA paper, which tries to cover this general problem.

If I remember correctly, the owner of Quick Set Corp, has commented on the forum in the past.

we had a system like this retrofitted onto a 3302 ryobi a few years back. It had the segmented ink blade and plastic liners that you put in the fountains to keep ink out of the spaces between segments. It was useless as far as an upgrade went. Weather you are twisting a screw or lifting a lever you were still guesstimating ink flow.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back