Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flexo guy seeking advice on buying offset coater vs ir dryer

Hi,

Tasked with buying a good used offset press for our of our overseas plants.(we are a flexo house, and to date have outsourced the offset work. Budget is pointing me to a used Komori / Ryobi 20 x29 or so, (open to others) need 4 colors, no perfecting, and a coater, OR, can I consider a 5 color, that has IR dryers, and assume the 5th station can be used as a coater to add an overprint varnish?

I assume an anilox coater is best for speed and such, but is using the last station and adding an aftermarket Pierry / similar dryer an option?

Or do I not stress the lack of a coater, buy a 4 color, and buy a stand alone coater? Jobs are all small run.
    Thank you all for your feedback

Just for clarity...usually the term “coated” would mean an aqueous coating applied with a blanket. While a “varnish” would mean an ink varnish applied by a metal plate.

Comment

Thank you, the work we are targeting is 4 c and always needs an aqueous coating, usually a matte look.
      Please educate me, I see used presses with dedicated coater, as well as machines with no coater, BUT an IR dryer. Am I correct that a 5 color machines with IR on last tower could accomplish what we seek , using the print tower to apply the coating and , i assume cured by the IR?
      Thank you

Comment

you cannot apply Aqueous waterbased coating with a offset print unit, you need a dedicated coater with IR and hot air. You can apply varnish with a print unit but you will never match the type of coverage that you will achieve with a coater. If it were me I would get a 4 or 5 colour press + AQ coater with IR/Hot air dryer and extended delivery. There are many Matte and Gloss waterbase coatings available.
        Last edited by Cornishpastythighs; 05-07-2019, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornishpastythighs View Post
          you cannot apply Aqueous waterbased coating with a offset print unit, you need a dedicated coater with IR and hot air.
          Actually, you can. Several companies make an AQ coating specifically designed for press roller trains, and you can also get it from most ink manufacturers, as well. It's a little tricky to use though, and you need to pay close attention to it as it will dry quickly on the rollers and blanket.

That said; a coater with an extended delivery, hot air scrubbers, and IR drying is a much better way to go.

Comment

yes Kentucky Shine is the product I am somewhat familiar with, never used it but when I researched it from other users they told me some nightmare tales of coating dried on rollers and having to remove the rollers to scrub them and not able to stop the press for more than 10 mins. You pays your money you takes your choice, Coater for me,

https://kustomgroup.com/products/ink...water-coating/

Comment

4OverCanonKBAAvantiXeroxSmartsoft (Presswise)Duplo

Free Download

Collapse

Avanti
            Before You Buy A Print MIS Read This - FREE Download Link To Download

4OverCanonKBAXeroxSmartsoft (Presswise)DuploAvantiXeikonGraph Expo

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4994 users online. 118 members and 4876 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,611 at 11:23 AM on 02-27-2019.

Working...
            X