Board Above the Feeder

dwanehollands

Hi there,

I'm curious as to these special boards they're putting on new sheetfed presses that sit above the feeder head.

On the Roland 200H it says "coverframe for the feederhead". You might be able to see it in the main photo on that page.
manroland AG - ROLAND 200 H

There seems to be similar one on the Roland 500 aswell. Although it appears lower.
http://www.manroland.com/com/product_images/R500_3201_CI8.jpg

My question is this? What on earth is it's purpose? I think it's something to do with card printing, but not sure.

Any ideas?

just a fancy holder for mis-fed sheets :D
seriously though, it's likely used as a dust guard to keep any settling dust/debris off of the stack when the press is running... and a fancy sheet holder

Albert,

"just a fancy holder for mis-fed sheets
seriously though, it's likely used as a dust guard to keep any settling dust/debris off of the stack when the press is running... and a fancy sheet holder"

Ha ha.

That's pretty amazing having it just to keep the dust off the stack. Although not a bad idea as a holder for the sheets! Probably save a little time when you pull them out and look for a pallet normally. (or go in the bin)

One thought is perhaps it was preventing an airconditioning ducts pushing air down on the stack...it was a weak idea...ha ha. Or perhaps prevent moisture from dripping ceilings. Actually we've had that a while ago...lol

we actually have one of these on our roland 300. i dont think it's a new thing. our press is almost 9 years old. ours is the mesh style, but thats all we use it for, for holding mis-fed sheets. i'm sure thats all the board style are used for as well.

I noticed manroland isn't producing the Roland 300 anymore. Any reasons why? been looking at the 200 H and it looks like a pretty remarkable machine.

The air-guide transfers which prevent the wet side from touching anything is pretty awesome. No marking at all? How's the 300 to operate. Same deal, no marking?

hello,

I run a ManRoland 500. From what i've read on printweek.com the 500 replaced the 300. There always was a 200 (they just redesigned it). The "basket" on top of the feeder was also on the Miehles-Rolands too.

I noticed manroland isn't producing the Roland 300 anymore. Any reasons why? been looking at the 200 H and it looks like a pretty remarkable machine.

The air-guide transfers which prevent the wet side from touching anything is pretty awesome. No marking at all? How's the 300 to operate. Same deal, no marking?

they made them for 10 years i think and then changed to the 500. actually the 300 isnt that fun to run. (well some days when it's really running well) while most praise the dampening system, i find it very difficult to get stable most days. also, it's got a rather tricky feed. maybe it's just getting old, but you cant go from a slower speed to a faster speed or vise versa without it misfeeding. you basically have to makeready at whatever speed you want to run at and good luck getting it to run consistantly at anything over 12,500sph :) oh, and it marks like crazy. it has just standard transfer cylinders, mostly single diameter and unless you stay on top of them they get pretty dirty (to the point of marking) pretty quickly. same goes for heavy coverage on heavy stocks. anything within 2 inches of the tail of the sheet and you get marks from the guards above the impression cyls.
i guess if you step it up to the 700 (of any year) they have the transferters instead of standard cylinders and completely eliminates marking, and the 500 is supposed to be a 300 with all the best features of the 700. ah how i wish they had bought a 700 instead :D

Board above feeder

Board above feeder

I too was wondering about the covered feeder treed. Our 05 Komori 540 SP, is open over the feeder, but the 08 440 SP we put in this year, has a sheet metal top.?

Ps. the top is mostly used to store miss feed and left over board sheets.

Faber & Schleicher - Board over Feeder

Faber & Schleicher - Board over Feeder

Hello, Faber & Schleicher (ROLAND) AG had these fitted on their Presses in the 1960s

F & S were the Orginal printing press makers of "Roland" presses, until the merger with
M.A.N in July 1979. Faber & Schleicher built the the first "Roland" offset press in 1911

Picture of the "Board over Feeder" from a copy of ROLAND NEWS # 21 from 1963

Regards,

Alois

Attachments

• ptg practice # 1117.pdf
    658.6 KB · Views: 201
  • ptg practice # 2118.pdf
    409.2 KB · Views: 253

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back