Advantages of a press with a console

ErnieLail

I was curious what the advantages of having a press with a console are. We may be purchasing some presses in the future and would like some input. I have always heard hat they save time and paper. Right now we are only using a few old Heidelberg presses (2-40" & 3-36") with the keys you turn by hand on the ink fountains. My GM thinks that having a console is just more stuff to break and i just wanted to see if the advantages would out-weigh the possibly of equipment failure and repair. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Advantages of a press with a console

I really depends on the number of make readies you do per shift - if you are on the same job all day then it will make little difference - but if you are doing a job every hour the you should be looking at semi automatic plate mounting as well as a consul and try and get the make readies down to 20 mins.
Peter

"I really depends on the number of make readies you do per shift"

Surely that's assuming you're only after the beneift of making ready using CIP3 data nor the like. On-press consoles are about much more, in particular keeping the job consistent throughout the run.

We have a press with and a press without a console and it does make a considerable difference in every area.

Thanks guys ive been trying to argue the side or going console without knowing how or why. All i have ever heard was word of mount that its better. Have you guys experienced much problems with a console?

Hi Ernie,

As mentioned, it can make a great impact with faster makeready and higher accuracy. Just with a console, the ink zone are controlled digitally, the press operator can move all colors or selected color right from the console, he does not have go to each unit and turn the keys, This can easily be expanded by interfacing to prepress.

From prepress, a file would be sent that will be used to preset the ink zones. In addition, within the CP2000 console, you can have multiple printing characteristic curves for the press based on ink/paper combinations that are used for automatic presetting of the ink zones. The more accurate you can make the presetting, the faster the make ready. Typical response from customers using presetting are they are down to a couple pulls and makeready can be done in a few hundred sheets. As mention, a makeready may be down to 20 minutes or so.

Once the ink keys are digitally preset, if the operator needs to tweak color, they do so right from the console for any or all colors. They do not have to go turn the keys at each unit.. We do have an option called Color Assistant, that allows the operator to tweak printing characteristics curves and save them into the data base. This allows fine tuning to the files, making them more accurate. How long is your typical makeready today and how many sheets does it take?

In addition, if you have a Heidelberg press with the Preset Feeder Plus, you can have job information come over from our Prinance MIS or Printready prepress workflow system into the data base. The press operator just chooses the job he wants from the CP 2000 console monitor. Beside the name of the job, paper size, automatically loading the proper print characteristic curve from the data base, you also are automatically setting the feed head set, side joggers for the paper, gripper height at in-feed, side guide, air setting on feeder, printing pressure, rear and side delivery guides and spray powder length. Once the run is done, all setups can be saved. So if you printed a partial or a reprint, all of these setting would be restored to the press to finish the new run.

So by having the console, you can integrate with prepress to reduce makeready on the press, saving time, ink, and paper. You not that far from us, we are located just outside of Atlanta. I welcome you to come visit and we can demonstrate the advantages of the integration. Just e-mail me if you are interested and I can have a representative arrange this with you. Good luck.

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP & Proofing
[email protected]

Wow !

I haven't seen let alone operated a manual (non-console) press for at least 10 years now!

I would go for the console option, it is faster, and as it saves a massive amount of running up and down, it's safer too.

Colour getting / maintaining is far easier.

Auto plate mount would be good too.

Dave

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back