Technotrans damping system needs constant roller maintenance

Caled

One of our presses is a AB Dick 9995 which has refrigerated alcohol dampening. The problem we're getting is that after 8-10 short run print runs of about 2,500 SRA3 sheets, the metering rollers have to be reset and adjusted or we get water related problems. This is not acceptable in our fast paced press room. This happens despite weekly water changes and regular maintenance on the press. Does anyone else experience this with this type of dampening system on their AB Dick 9995? Metering rollers are expensive and it's not cost effective to keep on changing them too. Wish I'd stuck with Varns as on the previous model.

Re: Technotrans damping system needs constant roller maintenance

Colin,

I am an expert on that piece of equipment. I feel your pain. I call that water system the Tone-O-matic or the Drip-O-matic. The 9995 is really a Ryobi 3302H. I have 12 of these I service on a regular basis including 2 3304H's. On all but one machine I have installed Accel Ultra water systems and it has taken that machine to a new level. They are up to color in like 4 sheets of paper and they stay consistent all the way thru the run. They are perfect for short run or long run work.
The cost to replace the rollers are also low compared to the original water system. They work with the chiller/recirc. also.
The installation must be done by a good service company as you know ABDick was eaten alive so if you use the present owners make sure the tech is good and the choice of inks and fountain solution is important also.
No alcohol required or recomended. A small amount of Sub is all that is needed.

The 3304H with that water system I call the DI Buster. It is up to color in 4 sheets and IMHO looks better than what a 3404 DI can do. Ink is glossy and dots are sharp etc. I install Kompacs also but on that press I use Accel's only.

Regards
OG

Thanks Offset for your excellent answer. I'll definately look into that. Is there a website with info or someone in the UK , I can get some more info from?
Recently I dabbled in digital, but binned it as offset is still the best for quality, speed and turnaround as long as presses are kept well maintained which is the reason for my question in the first place. Getting good offset engineers is becoming increasingly difficult.

Colin,

I can provide you with a US toll free phone number for Accel. They are great people to deal with and maybe they can suggest a good service company 1-800-666-8803. Or try in the UK Chris Dillon [email protected]. Phone 01527 522392
Web is http://www.pamarcoglobal.com/Crestline.htm

I truly agree with you as far as offset printing is concerned. Waterless and Toner based copiers have a lot to be desired for the cost of those machines and the product they produce. I will take Ink and water any day. IMHO the Screen TP344 is the perfect DI.

Or a 3304HA with Accel water systems and a good CTP like the DPX-4.
Cheers
OG

Thanks for your help Offset. Info much appreciated. Wish AB Dick/Ryobi would stop experimenting and stick with the tried and tested.
Thanks
Colin

One more question , what in your opinion is best Crestline Altra or Varn Kompac?
Thanks
Colin

Colin ,

I have a lot of experience working only on Ryobi Presses and have recently come across a 3302HA which has been coverted to run Varn also utilising the Technotrans recirc and to be honest I was pleasently suprised with the result.
The minders like the ease of operation and the lack of constant adjustment as to the cost of the convert I will try and find out.
Regards Ryobi Man

Thanks Ryobi. If you can find out cost and perhaps how easy it is to install the Varns with my 9995 and existing Technotrans recirc that would be really helpful.
Thanks
Colin

Offset Guy,

You are absolutely correct in your appraisal of the 9995's dampening system.
Washout, or dry up and fill in, without warning, rhyme or reason.
Our shop installed a brand new 9995A with a chiller/recirculation unit late in 1995. It has proven extremely difficult to modulate the dampening system from the beginning.
Changing the metering rollers and water forms has given little, if any relief.

Ryobi Man,

Please, please, include me with Colin in any information you can find on retrofitting to the Varn. (Is the Varn the same thing as the Crestline?)

Thanks
Nick

I've been reliably informed that the alcohol used in the recirc system actually strips the coating on the metering rollers. These rollers have to be renewed every 4 to 6 months and are expensive to buy and to fit.
The Varn Compac system is one I like having used it on a AB Dick 3995. Colour is achieved in about 6 sheets and requires little maintenance. I just don't know how to adapt it my new 9995 with the motorised damping system that it has along with the Technotrans. Our local engineer who services AB Dick/Ryobi presses didn't know how it could be done, so all advice will be most helpful.

Thanks
Colin

You need to make sure not to call the damping system on the AB Dick 9985, a Technotrans damping system. The damping system if it is not aftermarket is a Ryobi original dampening system connected to a Technotrans damping solution refrigerated circulator. Everyone who has run the Ryobi factory dampening system on their duplicator series presses 2800,3200, 3302 and 3304 prefer the Accel or Varn Kompac systems because they are easier to setup. Ryobi's dampening system on their larger 52-105cm machines are bullet proof.

Edited by: Leo Caproni on May 13, 2008 2:02 PM

Leo,
After working on the smaller series of Ryobi machines for many years I must admit they make an OK product. But bullet proof is a term I would not agree with. I have seen cams not put on properly, bad gears and bearings and bad factory adjustments etc. Not to mention the various electrical and PROM software problems I have seen. The water system on the 3302H is a joke also.
There seems to be a myth that all products from Japan are perfect and I have for one found that untrue.
This fact is simple A company can build a machine but it is the caliper of service that makes it bullet proof!
IMHO
Offsetguy

Accel Crestline water systems will solve all your issues and if you are as fast paced as you say they are a minimal invesment and you will see a return on your investment very quickly.

Thanks,
Todd

My company just got a slightly used Heidelberg SM52 6 color perfector with a technotrans circulator. The technotrans is a constant headache, the PU's are either drying up or flooding. Heidelberg has been in and replaced the "manifold", it runs fine until the day after the tech leaves, then the same old story. Any suggestions? Also, we're using H&S Rapida ink and the product, 8pt. 4/2 cover stock, has to sit for at least 2-3 days or we're getting severe offsetting problems. Using IR at 90% with powder spray and Heidelberg fountain solution.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back