Metrix by LithoTechnics

Re: Metrix by LithoTechnics

Cory,

Are your estimators making the same sort of mistakes? It could be a training issue. Or many times the problem isn't so much that the estimator is making a "mistake" as much as upper management is disagreeing with Production about what will and won't fit. That topic can get sticky sometimes.

I think our shop is going for it. Our planners/estimators are still using pencil and paper and a calculator. Talk about mistakes. Do you like Metrix? It seems very useful.

Check out the demo vid on lithotechnics website. The decked out version is 12K (1 dongle license), but there are cheaper options. The software could possibly pay for itself within the first month (depending on your workflow). I work for a package printing shop so this software is perfect for us as far as ganging goes. I haven't used it much for books though.

We bought our trial version from the lady below. It was the cheapest trial i could find. Alot of companies will try to sell you training, but any good prepress operator could set it up easy. I played around with it for a day or so to work out the kinks.

Bernie Bishop
Director of Technology
and New Business Development

A P Graph, Inc.
9605 Girard Avenue South
Bloomington, Mn 55431
952.888.4340 Office
952.698.1069 Direct
651.245.7432 Mobile

Corey,

We used Metrix for a while. It is great but we are now changing to Davinci which is a lot more intelligent because everything is automatically created straight from the estimate.

We used to have the problem that estimates that were not actually capable of being printed (didn't fir etc) but we don't have the problem anymore - even when non-estimators do the quote.

The trouble is that Davinci is a whole MIS with accounting and everything else so it's probably a lot more expensive than Metrix.

Edited by: Brian B on Jun 23, 2008 10:02 PM

Question: when it comes to ganging multiple different sizes on the same sheet, how do you handle cutting & finishing? Do you spend more time there? How complex does it become? Are you factoring the additional costs?

I am curious to know.

Raymond Duval
Ultimate Technographics

Metrix will lay the jobs out (for the most part) so that its easy to cut.

Metrix will also give you a few different layouts to choose from. Thats where you need to have someone with some sense making the decision as to which layout to use. Some layouts will take less time to cut down, but may take a extra sheets.

Hi Ernie,

Have you actually purchased a complete version yet or are you still running the 30 days demo?

Ray

Costs are typically distributed back to the individual orders based on percentage of gang press sheet occupied. If the press sheet is cut apart, then the cutting, folding, or other finishing costs are distributed back to individual orders based on percentage of finishing gang sheet occupied. The cost of unused sheet waste or "white waste" is also distributed based on percentage.

Thanks Ernie.

Since you have posted to use the 30 days demos on June 9, and we are July 11, you're version is still working??

" Re: Metrix by LithoTechnics
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 9:58 AM in response to: Cory Smith Reply

we are currently using the trial, and so far its great. "

I just though if it was that great, someone would have purchase already, no?

Just curious.
Thanks
Ray
Ultimate Technographics

No, we got an extension on the trial. Talked the GM into the purchase friday.

"I just though if it was that great, someone would have purchase already, no?"
I think Porche 911's are great, but i dont own one for obvious reasons.

If it were cheaper it would have been purchased without a doubt, but its hard to justify to management. Times are tight and the US economy is crap. But, you have to spend money to make money. And eventually i won them over by bringing to light several repeat jobs that could be ganged together to increase profits. Its a wonderful program, but its not cheap. BTW we primarily using this software to gang.

Your product on the other hand has a little more of a learning curve from what i could tell on the trial and is a good deal cheaper.

Edited by: Ernie on Jul 14, 2008 2:07 PM

Edited by: Ernie on Jul 14, 2008 2:09 PM

I have been using Metrix for about two years. I do not use it daily, but I use it on those special jobs that use unique page sizes or if I am ganging several jobs of different sizes. I use an older version and the least expensive version.

I find it fairly dynamic and easy to use.

It's great for planning and estimating, but falls short in the prepress area.

i was researching metrix earlier in the year and loved what i saw. we do a ton of ganging of various sized flats. what delayed our purchase was speaking to a kodak rep, and how they had planned on releasing their own ganging software.

after a few releases preps ganging shows more promise, but still can't hold a candle to metrix in terms of auto-layout. it's hard to justify another imposition software in these times, so i'm waiting it out a bit for them to catch up, but i kind of doubt they'll reach the sophistication of metrixes auto-layout any time soon. hmm...

Anyone using Metrix?

We still have problems with jobs being estimated based on bad press layouts ... sometimes have to wonder how a job was estimated when it won't physically fit on the sheet.

Cory, a job not physically fitting on the sheet is never the estimator's fault, it's always the software's.

Our planners/estimators are still using pencil and paper and a calculator. Talk about mistakes.

T, I've owned and operated a print shop for 37 years (Unitac - who we are), and through the years, have known and worked with a lot of printers. One of the first lessons hammered into me when I got into the business was "if it works, don't mess with it."

Well, guess what, folks, doing estimates with pencil and paper isn't working anymore. When you're quoting jobs by hand, and then requoting those same jobs ad infinitum, the only thing working is you, and not always at the height of your profession. Forget the fact that we're all supposed to go green and lean. Loading up the dumpster with paper that was cut wrong is as un-green and un-lean and unnecessary as it gets.

Now, about Metrics, I honestly have no clue whether Metrics is a good tool and a worthwhile investment. Some of the people using the software will no doubt share their experiences here, and they're a better judge of it than I am. What I can offer you is this: No matter what software you're using, go to the Morning Flight web site and download the Free Edition. Even if you have no intention of ever using the Morning Flight Estimator, at least use the stand-alone Paper Cutter and Paper Pricer utilities to validate your estimates.

BTW, free in this case really means free. Free of sales pitches, nuisance e-mails, strings of any kind. And free of charge - forever.

Hal Heindel
How can Morning Flight be free? - The Morning Flight Lounge

P.S. Just watched the flash demo on the lithotechnics web site. If I were still in the printing business, I would invest the time to install and learn the trial. The app looks that good.

Attachments

• Cutter_1.jpg
    Cutter_1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 230
  • Cutter_2.jpg
    Cutter_2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 247
  • PaperPricer.jpg
    PaperPricer.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Cory, a job not physically fitting on the sheet is never the estimator's fault, it's always the software's.

T, I've owned and operated a print shop for 37 years (Unitac - who we are), and through the years, have known and worked with a lot of printers. One of the first lessons hammered into me when I got into the business was "if it works, don't mess with it."

Well, guess what, folks, doing estimates with pencil and paper isn't working anymore. When you're quoting jobs by hand, and then requoting those same jobs ad infinitum, the only thing working is you, and not always at the height of your profession. Forget the fact that we're all supposed to go green and lean. Loading up the dumpster with paper that was cut wrong is as un-green and un-lean and unnecessary as it gets.

Now, about Metrics, I honestly have no clue whether Metrics is a good tool and a worthwhile investment. Some of the people using the software will no doubt share their experiences here, and they're a better judge of it than I am. What I can offer you is this: No matter what software you're using, go to the Morning Flight web site and download the Free Edition. Even if you have no intention of ever using the Morning Flight Estimator, at least use the stand-alone Paper Cutter and Paper Pricer utilities to validate your estimates.

BTW, free in this case really means free. Free of sales pitches, nuisance e-mails, strings of any kind. And free of charge - forever.

Hal Heindel
How can Morning Flight be free? - The Morning Flight Lounge

P.S. Just watched the flash demo on the lithotechnics web site. If I were still in the printing business, I would invest the time to install and learn the trial. The app looks that good.

Since that reply we have purchased Metrix. And like I said in a later reply. It's great for estimating and planning, but fall short in the prepress area.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back