How to motivate sales people in the printing industry

Sounds kinda' thin to me, rbailleu, even on the top end. Is there a salary associated with this? The guy has to eat while he gets rollin'. I don't expect you'll pull anybody in who has a family.

mattf is correct - the sales guy should be out selling - you shouldn't even know his name. You shouldn't see him except on payday.

By the way, to see a fantastic illustration of sales in its purest sense check out Alec Baldwin in Glengarry/Glenross. That's the guy you want!

there is a salary and milage and insurance. presumably he would come with some accounts as well. the commission schedule is not my idea but rather what he currently gets. I am more of a straight commission type. either way if he hit the 10% range he would be the highest paid guy in the plant with more compensation than the owner. which is not neccessarily an issue, but for example if he were to sell $50,000.00/month with salary that is about $80,000.00/year. I could live quite comfortably on that. I know salesman that sell $9,000,000.00 per year not too many hit that, but I am sure there are a few. I would be real happy with 1% of that. of course when you are talk about big work like this the margins get slimmer and 2% commission would put you out of the running on some projects.

Motivation and more!

Motivation and more!

Great responses everyone. Mattf, I appreciate your opinions and agree with some of your points regarding the responsibilities of a sales rep. I don't agree with the courier idea for delivering proofs. This is one of the few times your company gets to put a face in front of the client, and the last thing you want is a tattooed ex-con with bad breath and a hangover delivering proofs for a $20,000 print job. Wait a minute, why would a pressman be working as a courier. LOL, Man, I kill myself sometimes.

Clearly, our problems stem from a lack of Sales Management. We have 10 sales reps, but only 2 really keep our doors open. However, even they haven't brought in a new account in over 12 months. The other reps are quite content with their draw, and as long as their internet connection doesn't drop, they consistently put in about 4 hours a day. Damn that 10 - 2 grind!

Regarding motivation, I believe in "peace through force", so I support "prosperity through force". If a rep can't bring in one new account per year they lose 1% of their total commission. Two years without an account = 2%. If after three years they can't bring in a new account, we block access to youtube.com via firewall and prepress gets their parking spot. Four years without a new account gets you a transfer to the bindery department. I know this sounds harsh, but how many years could any of us underperform and still have a job? (Congressman excluded) I'm convinced that if I screwed up two jobs in one week in prepress I'd be rollerblading burgers at Sonic by the weekend.

Fear is a great motivator. Fear makes me double check my work. Fear makes me pay for insurance I never use. Fear makes me floss. Fear makes me monogamous. Fear makes me wear a seat belt. Fear makes me remember my wedding anniversary. Fear makes me invest for my retirement. Fear makes me get anally probed annually. (Oops, too much information.) Well, you get the idea. Fear is the driving force behind everything in life! So, come on, let's inject a little fear into our sales staff! Who's with me?

I am with you fear is a great motivator. but too much fear will have people not communicating or worse.
if the pressman fears asking questions because the manager yells and screams at everything. then you wind up with people that don't give a damn. salesman are a whole different story. thats why you have to make sure they have a good reason to sell to new clients. bring in a new account get $100 bucks or $500 what ever works but don't bring in a new account and you lose 50 off your commissions

not read all the posts on here so if this has laready seen said then apologises but some of the views here are pretty shirt sighted........as in the one 'there are always more used car salesman'. These are not the type of employees you want. The sales team you want, you want them to have a relationship with clients, to manage their experience and make sure everything is dealt with accordingly and efficiently. You do not want Bob who wants a quick sale and thats it. Customer relationship management is key to future and continual success.
If you are wanting sales to gain quick sales, then by all means it doesnt matter, but if you want to land large scale jobs or long tenders then thye must be trained in every aspect of your business and must be confindent in talking about this. This can only be achieved through training.
Another well made point was not to bombard them with leads and prospects, this will only make them feel under even more pressure to simple rush through everyone in the hope that some people like it rather than trying to start a relationship.

Depending on your target market, setting them up geogrphically is another way to set up you team, it means they will always be in roughtly the same area rather than going from one place to another to make meetings in a rush.

Like almost everyone, sales people are going to be motivated by capuchos, so could have them on low basic salery but have then on % of new sales and possible even % on continual based sales............................ but to say they simply dont care is very harsh, they like everyone else in the world want as much money as possible for as little work, its called the collective bargaining between employer and employee

Alright, rebuttal time:

Great responses everyone. Mattf, I appreciate your opinions and agree with some of your points regarding the responsibilities of a sales rep. I don't agree with the courier idea for delivering proofs. This is one of the few times your company gets to put a face in front of the client, and the last thing you want is a tattooed ex-con with bad breath and a hangover delivering proofs for a $20,000 print job. Wait a minute, why would a pressman be working as a courier. LOL, Man, I kill myself sometimes.

Oh you got me there, love the pressman reference! The wierd thing is, the company I work for now, all the pressman are actually pretty straightforward dudes.

Granted, courier isn't the best way to send off proofs to customers. However, if you want the sales team to get new prospects you need them to actually go out and find those prospects. Driving back and forth between customers to deliver a proof might not be the best utilization of their time. Granted, I worked at Hasbro for a short time and they only do overnights for their proofs. Granted, their printing location is in Hong Kong while designers are in Rhode Island, but thats another story for the campfire.

If you want them to continue selling, then what is another alternative on how to get proofs to customers without taking up the sales reps time? If courier isn't the best option, how about PDF proofs? Or maybe next day mail? Or maybe have just one person be in charge of delivering proofs to the multiple clients. There is always another solution, which one is the best is up to you.

Clearly, our problems stem from a lack of Sales Management. We have 10 sales reps, but only 2 really keep our doors open. However, even they haven't brought in a new account in over 12 months. The other reps are quite content with their draw, and as long as their internet connection doesn't drop, they consistently put in about 4 hours a day. Damn that 10 - 2 grind!

Clearly we have come to a point in my own experience that has not seen this type of mismanagement. If only 2 sales reps keep the doors open, fire the other sales guys. That's an extreme of course, but seriously try and see how much sales each has brought in. What was the total cost of materials and OSP for their jobs? What was the total overall cost of the jobs? What was their profit? Whats their value added amount and percent? These are good tools to use in order to figure out who is actually bringing in the good money.

Quick example, the sales rep in our company that makes the lowest amount compared to the rest has actually the highest value added. So even though he made the least in terms of sales, his jobs made the most money when compared to the total costs.

Regarding motivation, I believe in "peace through force", so I support "prosperity through force". If a rep can't bring in one new account per year they lose 1% of their total commission. Two years without an account = 2%. If after three years they can't bring in a new account, we block access to youtube.com via firewall and prepress gets their parking spot. Four years without a new account gets you a transfer to the bindery department. I know this sounds harsh, but how many years could any of us underperform and still have a job? (Congressman excluded) I'm convinced that if I screwed up two jobs in one week in prepress I'd be rollerblading burgers at Sonic by the weekend.

Fear is a great motivator. Fear makes me double check my work. Fear makes me pay for insurance I never use. Fear makes me floss. Fear makes me monogamous. Fear makes me wear a seat belt. Fear makes me remember my wedding anniversary. Fear makes me invest for my retirement. Fear makes me get anally probed annually. (Oops, too much information.) Well, you get the idea. Fear is the driving force behind everything in life! So, come on, let's inject a little fear into our sales staff! Who's with me?

In regards to fear, it is a great motivator, but it is also a great way to get people to make mistakes. If you want to get rid of some of your sales staff, I'd suggest pushing fear on them and soon enough they will make a mistake. Is this the best way to address the problem? Probably not.

One good way for them to understand is just talking with them. Tell them like it is, no flowery speech or anything like that. Just down to the nuts and bolts so they can understand. IF you don't bring in money, the company has no use for you. That isn't fear, its straight up reality.

In terms of sales, they can do what they like as far as I am concerned. Just as long as they are bringing in the sales its ok. Potentially for each quarter you could make a benchmark for each sales rep to reach. If they don't make the appropriate sales amount, just keep track of it until the rep starts to show a future liability issue. Then you need to make the choice of either helping him/her to get out of it or just canning them. Thats all there is too it. No fear, no motivation, just straight talk (not a McCain reference) that anyone can understand.

From my own experience, our sales team keeps as many clients as they can and do research into trying to enter into markets that they believe are key areas of interest for the company. A lot of times it works and sometimes it doesn't. At the end of the day though they all have their specific clients they have had that keeps them going, and thats fine. If they keep bringing in the work all is well.

You mentioned a lack of sales management, that might be a next step to go forward on. Have an individual manage the sales team to push for new clients, continued sales and no messing around. Direction might be the best idea for this group, not fear mongering. We know how that ended up in politics, shouldn't be the case with printers!

Root Cause Analysis

Root Cause Analysis

2 things can be done easily. Get all sales people in a room and do a root cause analysis. Ask why 5-times. answer is within reach. 2nd is while they are in the room ask them to participate in idenditify their obstacles.
write every thing down from silly to logical. Ask them to grade them in terms of difficulty to achieve. Work on the easy 3 or 4. Revisit this in few months. You'd see the continued improvement.

Dcraig, I'm not in sales, I own a business, and I've got news for you. In business NOTHING happens unless somebody sells something. You should stop feeling bitter because your salespeople make so much money and go into sales and outperform them...or buy a business...if you've got the guts.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back