Implementing JDF workflow automation

vaughng

Hi All,

I am looking at implementing / integrating JDF/JMF workflow automation and would appreciate any / all comments from those who are interested in this topic.

Current scenario:
Prepress = Kodak Prinergy 5.1 with Preps 5; RBA
MIS = Shuttleworth-MIS
Manual job cards printed on evelopes etc etc
Offset sheetfed and web, post press = PUR & saddlestitch binders

Initially I want to link the MIS and Kodak systems so that JDF can 'create' the job in Prinergy and automate that end.
Our goal / vision for this initial stage is to go from order to plate without any manual intervention.

1. In your opinion, is this possible? :confused:
  2. What were your experiences?
  3. Where were the hiccups / frustrations when implementing etc? :mad:

Future scenario:
Automated workflow using JDF/JMF to monitor work through the factory through to completion.

Has anyone got this working / right? If so, how did you do it?

C'mon brag to us all? :D

Any views?

Regards
Vaughn
Project Manager
CTP Printers Cape Town - yes ... we do print in CT :p

Take a look at the case studies on the CIP4 site, you should find plenty of information to help.
CIP4 Website

Thank Paul ... I am working my way through the case studies provided.

The CIP4 website has been very useful so far ....

Any other users 'real-life' experience (i.o.w. besides those listed as case studies) would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance :)

With our current workflow config we create jobs, output plates and queue remakes from the pressroom with MIS to Prepress automation. Now this config is not pretty nor is it optimal as we are sending a raiseevent to Prinergy RBA. This limits us a bit on the amount of info we can pass and allows for virtually no revision control of the info. But it does work. At the moment I have over 90 separate rules active in Prinergy.

Currently our company is in the process of developing, testing and implementing a new MIS system. This one is JDF compliant! I have been working on the MIS to Prinergy via JDF for a few months now and have discovered a thing or two about this magical process.

1. There is no such thing as plug and play in the JDF world.
2. Be prepared to feel like a ping pong ball. (vendor A >>>YOU<<<vendor B)
3. CIP4 Website (Learn your way around here!)
4. Automation Solutions Network | Printing Industries of America - Printing.org (Attend one of the meetings, worth every dime)

This really helps me... Thanks for the post. Even I am trying myself to do Print job automation(PDF files), sending job straight away to printer from our website. In this process came through the JDF magic, I can create JDF with instructions and Data, but struck in sending this job to Printer,,, does it requires any media(hardware device/software) to communicate this JDF files to printer process(our printers are JDF supportable)... Can you guys pls help me in this...

---Edited : found the clue, We need to keep the files(JDF and data) into Hotfolder MIS, but surprised, why all this implementation is depending on MIS like Fiery/Free Flow print server hot folders, which are expensive and which demands to be installed for each printer... Am I wrong ?? Can some one correct me..!!

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back