What QC process is used at your plant?

ErnieLail

I was curious if you guys use some sort of checklist, time logs, ect. We are having problems with the press operators not looking at sheets (reg problems and hickeys), color variation, running double orders, never changing blankets, ect... What have you guys found to be a good method to make sure the product looks good without holding the press operators hand?

Re: What QC process is used at your plant?

Ernie
When I read your posts I think you have a management problem - A good press room manager should sort these problems out. .

Peter

I agree, but unfortunately i am unable to remedy the situation. So im trying to make the best out of it. Im the prepress supervisor here and i am just trying to save the company some money. I know the pressroom stuff is the pressroom supervisor's responsibility, but nothing seems to get done. I have found in my department that we have cut down on the careless errors, by using a check sheet. We check off the list the different things to check before plating, date and label with your name in pen. That way you can slow the person down and make sure they dont forget to check everything on jobs. Of course they could just check the boxes and not check the job, but if thats the case, the person obviously doesnt care about the quality of their work. I was curious if any of you guys have used those kind of approaches to QC in your plant.

I have suggested an pay incentive for a 4 color and 2 color press. That way the 4 color press operator can be demoted to a 2 color press with a pay cut if they are not producing. But the down side is you have to then train another operator on the 4 color press. It seems as though a lot of our employees just want to get their paycheck and go home. They have no concern for the well-being of the company. But maybe if we effect their paycheck things will change.

As a process control consultant, I usually recommend a "process control sheet". This sheet includes the plate measurements of the 2% and 50% dots of each color plate, K-C-M-Y. This tone scale is placed in the plate bend area and can be measured anytime, before or after printing because it isn't in the print area. Next we measure the values of the proof Lab, solids, gain numbers (50%) and gray balance. Now we measure the OK'd press sheet for Lab, density, dot area (50%) and gray balance. Since all the data is on one sheet we can determine the root cause or look for a drift. I'll attach a poster for review. Any questions please call. . . .or "google" me. . . .
Dan Remaley

I use that method of a screen scale in the plate bend for QC on the prepress end for prepress QC. The plates are already adjusted, i now just need to create a custom press profile. Right now we are using a SWOP profile. Its extremely hard to get management to give me press time, but hopefully i will have my custom profile created soon.

But the problems we are having are not that the color doesnt match... its that the color varies throughout job, hickeys, color registration, position registration and running double orders because they are not watching the press.

If your proofs are made to SWOP, then you must adjust the 4 plate curves to create the correct density, dot gain, and gray balance. If the plate curves are incorrect the pressman has no choice than to "push" or "pull" ink, resulting in an unstable position at press.
You may try using GCR to help control color shifts on press. (see attached). . .
FOR ALL OF PRINT PLANET. . . . . .
I have attached a "Quick Peek" process control form that you can send me and I can review your print condition.
Dan

Dan, whats the charge for you to review our print condition?

Edited by: Ernie on May 7, 2008 11:09 AM

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back