Printsmith pricing

Alith7

has anyone recently installed Printsmith?
My boss heard from his brother that they put in Printsmith for job management and estimating for a low price that I don't think is even possible.
I don't want to switch, I like the software we use now, and I don't want to have to deal with the sales pitch and the incessant pestering to try and find the price info to dispute his information.

Thanks for the help!

yeah, I have looked at it before, and aside from the price, one of the main reasons we passed was because we had no control over the information, job ticket layout, and a few other things. It was very much "You will learn to do things their way and like it" mentality. That doesn't fly in my shop.

The system that we are using now, I have a fully customized job ticket layout done in Crystal reports, and I have full control over it if I ever need to make any changes, or scrap the whole thing and start over.

EFI is not cheap when it comes to software. Unsure of the pricing but I know that Pace is through the roof.

That was my understanding. Last time I looked at it, ok, over 5 years ago, but from what I remember we were looking at over $100k US for just basic job management & estimating.

There are a lot of sub $100K options now (depending on the functionality you need, obviously). We currently use Printsmith (classic, not the newer 'Vision' version) but I think pricing is fairly similar to when we purchased it. We are switching to a different solution very soon (not fans of Printsmith...or EFI in general). Pricing wise, Printsmith is EFI's entry level MIS, I think it was in the $5 - 8K range to start. BUT, there are a number of 'modules' you can add for further functionality. They're not extremely high priced, but enough that when it came to features we wanted, we couldn't justify so we did without and began looking for alternatives. Additional users (beyond 5, I think) are an add-on. Report editing is possible...with an add on (this changed a little with Vision - it either used Crystal Reports in the past or does now). Sense a theme?
I'm sure plenty users love it, and being EFI you at least don't have to worry about it being bought out by EFI (because that already happened years ago). But just for reference, a number of the solutions we were considering (and the one we ultimately decided on) have instructions/features/tools specifically for users coming from Printsmith. Meaning there were enough people looking to get away from Printsmith that multiple vendors could justify the time/resources to helping users of one specific system migrate to their solution.
Did I mention I'm not a fan?

There are a lot of sub $100K options now (depending on the functionality you need, obviously). We currently use Printsmith (classic, not the newer 'Vision' version) but I think pricing is fairly similar to when we purchased it. We are switching to a different solution very soon (not fans of Printsmith...or EFI in general). Pricing wise, Printsmith is EFI's entry level MIS, I think it was in the $5 - 8K range to start. BUT, there are a number of 'modules' you can add for further functionality. They're not extremely high priced, but enough that when it came to features we wanted, we couldn't justify so we did without and began looking for alternatives. Additional users (beyond 5, I think) are an add-on. Report editing is possible...with an add on (this changed a little with Vision - it either used Crystal Reports in the past or does now). Sense a theme?
I'm sure plenty users love it, and being EFI you at least don't have to worry about it being bought out by EFI (because that already happened years ago). But just for reference, a number of the solutions we were considering (and the one we ultimately decided on) have instructions/features/tools specifically for users coming from Printsmith. Meaning there were enough people looking to get away from Printsmith that multiple vendors could justify the time/resources to helping users of one specific system migrate to their solution.
Did I mention I'm not a fan?

I am also looking to leave Printsmith Vision. What other MIS software did you go wtih and why?

By no means take this as a recommendation - since we haven't actually started using just yet I can't do that. We went with DocketManager (docketmanager.ca). As with any off-the-shelf solution (or out-of-the-cloud, in this case) there are some things we'd like it to do differently (or things we'd like it to do that it doesn't) and things we don't have a direct use for in our shop, but it was the best fit in our price range. And they're also very open to suggestions and are always adding new features. Since we were also looking at adding W2P and it includes that functionality as well, the pricing made even more sense.

By no means take this as a recommendation - since we haven't actually started using just yet I can't do that. We went with DocketManager (docketmanager.ca). As with any off-the-shelf solution (or out-of-the-cloud, in this case) there are some things we'd like it to do differently (or things we'd like it to do that it doesn't) and things we don't have a direct use for in our shop, but it was the best fit in our price range. And they're also very open to suggestions and are always adding new features. Since we were also looking at adding W2P and it includes that functionality as well, the pricing made even more sense.

Whats your opinion on DocketManager now? We've had it for about 6 months and I feel that we got sold on more than what it can actually do. I also feel that they're "open" to suggestions but none of them get implemented. Just curious if I'm the only one of if you have a similar take now?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back