MIS Printing Estimating Software

KAMOULA

Hi Everyone,
After 10 yrs on the production floor, I want to get into Printing Estimating. But everywhere I apply, I keep being asked about my experience with MIS Software: EFI PACE, Printsmith...
Where Can I get some training on this Software? I am good at estimating, just never used MIS before.

Kamoula, in my opinion, your production experience and knowledge and what you can bring to the table about estimating is far more critical than having experience and knowledge in one or more software packages – without having any practical production experience. Not having estimating experience may be more of a negative though. There are many estimating, MIS and ERP programs out there. Unlike Photoshop, there is no “industry standard”, so an estimator starting at a new company may have a great deal of experience with software that is not used by the new company. So again, one can learn new software, however production and estimating experience should count for more. Prospective employers may wish for a new staff member to “hit the ground running” and not to invest time and money in training them.

Stephen Marsh

That's exactly it Stephen. Employers are looking for someone that can "hit the ground running". I have production experience as well as estimating skills. It just happens that I learned to estimate the old fashion way. I don't think that learning an MIS program should be very hard for me, if given the chance to prove my skills on the Job.

Any intelligent employer (you will want one of those) will understand that there is so much to understand about a shop's approach to pricing and production that the issue of experience with a particular estimation software package is truly a minor part of the considerations in hiring an estimator.

If you are proficient in using both Windows and Mac computers you should have no real difficulties. If just one type, it will be a little harder; and if you really are not proficient... take some "computer literacy" classes. Not knowing how to use a computer is more of an obstacle to success than not being acquainted with a specific program.

We hired an excellent estimator who had no experience at all with the version of software we use. (He was using a much more advanced version of the same stuff at a previous job.) He was up to speed in less than three months: most issues were due to our approaches to pricing and production. Not being accustomed to the software was a very minor issue.

Same with another estimator, who had NO experience with our software. He was more than adequate in three months.

If you can make an accurate, fast, "back of the envelope" estimate of complex projects you will be an asset to any employer. You might not command top dollar when hired, but you will probably advance quickly.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back