Small Shops: POS / accounting / payroll ?

jdr999

Hi all,

What is everyone doing for accounting, payroll and point of sale?

We're currently part of a larger store and piggy-backing off their system but that will have to change soon.

I've looked at QB and Xero with both POS & payroll modules. Are there other options I should consider?

Thanks,
Joe

To run my small 2 person all-digital shop, I use Morning Flight for estimating, Quickbooks Online for bookkeeping, payroll, and credit card processing.

Why no online accounting? Their computing environment is probably more data secure than most small shops'? Can access from any computer, don't loose anything if your computer or backup crashes, etc...

Besides the security issues, we have internet connection issue and there is no guarantee that you will have continuing access. It could get shut down at any time for any number of reasons.

...we have internet connection issue...

That's the reason I've held off for so long. Internet goes down, no more bookkeeping. But I am fortunate that the internet does go down very often here. When it does, I just find something else to do for a couple of hours. If I really need to do some bookkeeping, I can connect to a cellular network and keep on accounting! Another disadvantage of QBO or any browser based software is it is slooooowwww. Click. Wait. Click. Wait. Did I click that? Click again. Crap. I did click it. Now it took me to the other page. Damn it. QB Desktop went as fast as I could click and type. I even have the stupid little desktop applet which is what made me try it for a second time. Thought it would be faster with the applet. But a couple of the advantages are, as OffsetStoreFront pointed out, if you hire a bookkeeper, you don't need to get an additional license. Just put them in front of any crappy computer and log in. My bookkeeping is contracted out and QBO makes it easy for her to access my accounting. She works from home. About twelve miles from my shop.

Oh, and I'm not trying to sway anybodies opinion. Just making conversation.

To run my small 2 person all-digital shop, I use Morning Flight for estimating, Quickbooks Online for bookkeeping, payroll, and credit card processing.

Thanks for the reply Keith.

So it looks like about $100 per month for accounting and payroll?

What about point of sale and register?

It looks like everything now-a-days is a monthly subscription, even POS systems.

I'm not sure how much I pay right now, to be honest! Lol! My bookkeeper just switched me over to her QBO with Payroll plan and saved me some money. I don't use Point of Sale or Register or anything like that. But if I did, I'd probably look at what QBO has to offer first.

Same software here but I would never use online accounting. And by the way Intuit has got the message Quickbooks for Mac 2019 will be available soon. https://quickbooks.intuit.com/rm/cmc39803/mac2019/

It has been released. Same desktop as before with Quickbooks Server for 3 users. But, now you can also share across iCloud it you want to use a remote computer or maybe another device. But you data is secure on you own computer and backup. https://quickbooks.intuit.com/rm/cmc41250/mac/?cid=dr_em_006_41250#features

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back