Xpedx Stores Division Closing

via xpedx Stores | Facebook

"xpedx serves customers across many industries, and our Stores community is probably the most diverse of all. From graphic designers to party planners, churches to small business owners, we strive to provide excellent service along with the products you need in the quantities you want. If you don’t know, our largest base of customers is printers, and that industry is undergoing quite a lot of change. We want to continue to be a top supplier to the print industry, and to make sure that happens, we’re making some changes.

This year xpedx will realign operations so that we can continue to provide excellent service while helping our customers keep pace with the fast-growing digital print market. This means we will transition away from our current stores business model, to servicing many customers from xpedx’s well established distribution network. We will also open “mini-merchant” locations based in some of the country’s top digital print markets.

While this is the right decision for xpedx overall, it will lead to the closing of our Stores division, which will unfortunately affect many talented and dedicated team members. Depending on your line of work, it could also affect you. Know that your local store associate is ready to discuss the changes coming our way.

Throughout this change we will go to great lengths to help our employees through the transition, and will do our best to limit disruption to all of our customers’ businesses.

We value our relationship with everyone in the Stores community – whether we know you personally, professionally, or through our social networks.

Look for future updates here, and please send well wishes to our wonderful xpedx Stores team."

We are going to be a bit screwed by this.
I am super surprised by this decision.
Thoughts?

xpedx, as ahub and spoke distributor, has always had a hard time with the stores. They originally planned to use them for list price sellers of hard to move product that was sitting on warehouse shelves and they evolved to what they are today. I think with the Kodak stuff, they have alot of fear and worry and they are doing what any large compnay would do---respond in a way that it will effect the bottom line the most.

Try to establish an account with a small local paper distributor, you will pay about the same but get service - hope you have one close to help you out.

I agree with Joe, we refer to xpedx as "expect-less". The regional distributors will do cartwheels if you ask them to.

Well at least your better off then us here, Xpedx shut down ALL of its facilities in Canada

Surprised by the response - our local Xpedx Store provides a much higher level of service than the staff of the closest hub.

We get great service and pricing from our local Xpedx Store. Guess now have to start using Kelly Paper Strore more :(

I agree with Craig. Xpedx has always, in our area, been known as "expect less, pay more." In the SLC area they closed down 2 great stores, Western Paper and Zellerbach paper and consolidated all into XpedX. What a mistake that has been. Unfortunately International Paper closed the wrong division down.

Craig (or others)
What is a "regional distributor" ? Do they distribute all types of papers from all paper factories ?
Or a regional distributor of a certain factories' paper ?

Who would be a regional distributor closest to Los Angeles ??

We work with 4 regional distributors, mostly because of delivery schedules. Between the 4 (1 is envelopes only) they have everything available that we have ever needed in out 46 years. There is so much more flexibility with them than xpedx. 2 of them will take our cutter blades to a grinding shop and deliver them for free. You can compare it to Walmart and a mom and pop shop mentality, they want your business.

Thanks Craig, but Names ! I need Names !! :) Anyone ?

Someone mentioned MAC in another post, but they're South East only, and I'd like a company a bit closer to home. Preferably in Los Angeles.

Thanks !

Sub for Xpedx

Sub for Xpedx

If you're in LA and looking for a sub for the Xpedx stores try either Kelly Paper which is a similar model to Xpedx or Keldon Paper who is a smaller traditional paper merchant with sales people and delivery available.

Thanks guys !
No Millcraft in So.Cal.
Keldon, yes, I'll be contacting them soon - quite close to us - but no Mohawk papers.

I don't think we will attempt to do business with the warehouse IP is keeping in Memphis.
I have heard that they don't care to do business with printers our size and that they are separate from xpedx so we'd have to go through the whole opening an account thing again.
We have MAC and Athens, but they have tiered pricing and we always did better pricewise with xpedx. That's the main reason I am saddened by the closure. That and the convenience factor.
Memphis had two xpedx stores up until late last year when they closed one because the employees sucked. The manager was awesome, but the employees gave zero fs about their jobs and it really showed. We used to recommend people purchase odd stocks direct from xpedx closest to us for us to overprint on, but it got to the point where I just couldn't do that anymore. People were coming back like, "Man, those people are RUDE. They acted like they were doing me a favour when they were really just doing their damn job." The other store in Memphis is awesome, but apparently from what I am reading here and on facebook xpedx as a whole kind of fails at customer service. Bummer.
Couple this with the whole Neenah buying Royal thing and I feel like this year is going to be very interesting..

Interesting tid-bit / effect maybe of the Kodak bankruptcy ??....
Kodak owes Xpedx $12,949,939

Maybe that's why they're closing their stores division ??

How can a company (Kodak) owe another company (Xpedx) that much $$$ ???

You would think someone at Xpedx's A/R dept would maybe send them a bill ?

BIG DAVE, THAT IS AMAZING!!!! Talk about not being able to sleep at night. Im going to have to find out Kodak's secret. I could only imagine what would happen if I were to be over 30 days late with my monthly payment to Xpedx. Unfortunately in the SLC area there is a main Xpedx warehouse and 2 small stores in the valley. Xpedx and the old Arvey paper store, now Xpedx #2. Im sure they will be shutting down one if not both.

Wow, it is amazing how this company works. Now my challenge is where do I find a supplier where I can get decent pricing in less than case amounts. This came as a surprise to me when I called to order some paper today. I can't order from the distribution center because I can't afford to buy a full case of paper when I only need small amounts. Just another way to drive the small business out of business. Ideas anyone???

Thanks Printshopgirl. and I agree WTF to the article. Xpedx has always been a thorn in my side but I've used stores just because of the people who were working there and they could meet my needs at a reasonable cost. Somehow I don't think Xpedx is losing anything from their perspective. I just hate how they treat the little guy and let the big guys do whatever they want.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back