What [printing] Conferences do you like? Where do you get marketing resources?

Lorenzo lab guy

I just finished up at my main annual conference: IPIC2017 International Print + Imaging Conference. I feel like I get a lot from this annual event, but it aims at group of photo labs that also grew into digital press printing. As a newly elected (volunteer) board member of the IPI Member Network (cooperative association) that runs the show, I have always wondered if our little event might be of interest to a wider group of potential attendees.
So, if you like, help me out with feedback.
Do you feel like current conferences help you with developing your business? I am thinking of shows like Print17, or SGIA or others.
Do you mostly go to conferences to "kick the tires" for future purchases, or get continuing education on technical or business topics?
Are you looking for marketing training or assistance for your operation or do you feel that competitive concerns mean that is not a good topic for group meetings?
Do small print shops need to have a "retail face" ? Examples of that would be a great customer lobby with attractive displays, a good website and captive retail products. Or, do you feel you are in a b-to-b business and letting consumers into your space is a distraction.
I've got more questions but it seems like the above is plenty. In our operation, we were a photo lab that kind of backed into commercial printing when we took over the customer list from the offset shop down the street that closed, although my Dad was a lithographer going all the way back to letterpress, so I have been around printing all my life.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum topic to post this in, but i didn't see a topic for business management or marketing. This is the closet topic I could find that seemed appropriate. Finally, have internet forums like this replaced the old-school conferences of the past?

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back