Gutenberg & the History of the Printed Bible—a Special Exhibit

prwhite

Administrator
Staff member
The Museum of Printing in Haverhill, MA is presenting a special exhibition and lecture on Gutenberg & the Printed Bible at the Museum of Printing on 12/2/17, 10am–4pm. Professor Emeritus Frank Romano will trace the fascinating history of the printed Bible in 3, one-hour presentations, scheduled at 10am, Noon, and 2pm.

Over 15 rare Bibles will be exhibited, plus several replicas of Gutenberg Bible pages, as well as other historic materials. Romano has personally seen 30 of the 48 Gutenberg Bibles that remain on this planet. Romano will also talk about Gutenberg’s 3 attempts & several years to get the font right; and why no 2 Gutenberg Bibles are the same.

This event is free to clergy, military & children. Admission for others is $8.
Contact [email protected]

I went to this event yesterday and had a great time!

I was immediately impressed with the museum’s new location & building. It’s a substantial brick & mortar structure that’s conveniently located at a freeway exit. The building is spacious, well laid out, handicap accessible and filled with all manner of artifacts from the printing industry, including: antique presses, storage mediums, type casting / setting equipment, early computers, typewriters featuring various keyboard layouts and a lot of just-plain-old nostalgia. There were also some interesting folks there. One person I met is a printer specializing in “Antique Letterpress”. We exchanged business cards and his tagline was: “Several Technologies Behind” — priceless!

Professor Romano’s presentation on Gutenberg was interesting, fact filled, and made me feel good that I went. He presented pertinent information about the beginning of our industry, Gutenberg’s life and his tribulations with the creation of the perfect font to make his mass-produced bible’s text look like a traditional Scribe-produced bible.

When in the Boston area, the Museum is a fun-filled stop for anyone in the business or anyone interested in the history of the printed word.

Yes, I am in southern NH, on the MA border, so this museum is very close and easily reached from any of Boston's surrounding towns. It's a nice part of the country with museums, art galleries, fine orchestras, winter skiing, fishing, sailing and lakes., etc.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back