Uncle Dave Mainwaring has died

Gordo:

Did you attend any of those original PrintPlanet parties back in the day? Anyone else from that era still lurking?

Gordo:

Did you attend any of those original PrintPlanet parties back in the day? Anyone else from that era still lurking?

Yes I did, at a few GraphExpos and Seybold. They were more of a meet and greet over a glass or two. A great way to put a face to Forum members. I joined the Forum in late ''95 or early '96 when I was tech director of a west coast sheetfed print shop as a way to get help with converting the shop from a Scitex to a postscript workflow. I think he was in the same situation as me - trying to get as much info as possible about how to make sense of the new tools we had to work with. He was working at Digital Art Exchange, Inc. (DAX) a company that was developing digital workflow solutions for prepress houses, printers, publishers, ad agencies and in-house production departments. It was all very pioneering at the time and there were few resources to turn to in order to get help - until he founded this forum.

I only met Dave a few times, he was a very unassuming, modest person. He will be missed.

Last edited:
Although I didn’t know Dave for as long as many, he was one of those legendary, industry names. When I became involved with PrintPlanet, Dave had already retired, and we had several phone conversations and emails about a multitude of topics.

He certainly was a pioneer, especially considering what the Internet was back in 1996, dealing with dial-up modems and creating websites with chisels & hammers, compared to the sophisticated tools we have today.

Back in the early days of PrintPlanet, the Internet was as foreign to most people as CtP & print on demand (POD). Why did we need POD, anyway, let the customer wait for it! The concept of email seemed like just another “time sink”, too. Who needed email, we had fax machines for God sakes!

Dave was a true pioneer who gave us all a valuable information-exchange and resource that has stood the test of time. As websites come and go, Dave built a vital industry resource that seems every bit as vital today as it was 22 years ago. The value of a good life is what you build & leave behind for future generations.

Uncle Dave has left the room. Thank you Dave, for your contributions, you will be missed!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back