Survey Finds 47% Would Be Sad Without Print

prwhite

Administrator
Staff member
Canon USA’s recently concluded Print for Action Survey1, conducted by Ipsos, found that 47% of those surveyed would be sad in a world without Print. The survey’s intent was to uncover consumers’ perception & use of printed materials, and determine the importance of Print in the minds of the next generation of business leaders.

Generational findings all point toward the power of print, with only one-in-five Americans reporting that they rely solely on digital platforms. The Canon Survey revealed that Print has a favorable influence in many aspects of the lives of U.S. Millennials, and they consistently rely on Print for:
  • Physical calendars—43%, and 30% used printed planners for scheduling and staying organized.
  • Sending printed cards,
    • For Valentine’s Day 2018, printed romance cards scored 30% over 7% for e-cards.
    • In the twelve months prior to the survey, more than half (51%) of Millennials gave someone a printed card for a celebratory moment compared to 18% for an e-greeting.
  • Food & beverage purchasing decisions.
  • Studying relaxation habits & techniques—48% of Millennials turn to books to relax,
    • They say reading a book makes them feel the most relaxed compared to exercising—37%, cooking—37% and meditating—21%.

And I imagine that 100% of the people in the print industry would be very sad in a world without print.

Interestingly the survey wasn't aimed at millennials: following were the sample sizes (%); Gen Z: 62, Millennials: 537, Gen X: 574, Baby Boomers: 689, Silent: 148.

And the survey wasn't printed. Sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSF
The "power of print" huh? So...things a minority of people consistently rely on print for include:
  • A once-a-year calendar/planner purchase
  • Printed cards for the small handful of holidays we're socially obligated to send cards for
  • Food & beverage labels (?) that there is no digital alternative for currently?
I wonder if their survey specified printed books as opposed to e-books.

But, I guess the survey is useful for Canon being able to slap a click-bait title about "Millennials" on their press releases and hoping for some positive brand association. Glad a minority of people would feel "sad" about print disappearing entirely (which it wouldn't).

Maybe our industry would be better served by study into how we need to change and adapt to meet consumer's new needs instead of trying to prove we're not dead yet.

Im 28 years old, and I notice anyone I know my age usually has printed copies of books. My family still buys books. Also, when flying (which I do frequently) Books seem to be more prevalent over kindles. Or in my experience it is.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back