USA Today to end print edition

Yep, and, I heard on the news this morning that Family Circle magazine is shutting down also.

Do we really need printed paper any longer? When you look in your mail box and have 20 or more solicitation's all printed on paper or card stock that smell like chemicals or whatever they produce these junk mail pieces on. I understand some print on paper is still needed, but stop the junk mail and robo calls
Think about it

smalloffsetpressexperts - this thread was started with a story about a newspaper ending its print run. I don't think newspapers and junk mail are the same. You answered your own question already - "Do we really need printed paper any longer?" "some print on paper is still needed". Please clarify what it is you're trying to say.

Are newspapers not printed on paper? Is Junk mail not printed on paper? The thread points out another one bites the dust for print on paper. Why bother with print when you can use Adobe products and the cloud to produce print at the targeted audience. Food for thought only

Do we really need printed paper any longer? When you look in your mail box and have 20 or more solicitation's all printed on paper or card stock that smell like chemicals or whatever they produce these junk mail pieces on. I understand some print on paper is still needed, but stop the junk mail and robo calls
Think about it

Junk mail???!! It’s targeted database driven relevant informational missives!

The missives data driven junk mail is often sold to other companies with out knowledge of the person receiving the junk mail. Think of it like this: You post a sign that says No Soliciting allowed which works to keep salesman away from your door. But your mail box is full of junk mail and paper and just trash. So what is the difference between
a shady guy knocking on your front door, A Robo call or junk mail you never asked for.

It appears that operational restructuring will cause the demise of the print edition of USA Today: https://www.poynter.org/business-wo...tehouse-and-gannett-merge-signs-point-to-yes/

For one so good at accurate reporting and debunking of myths and rumors, I'm a little surprised that Gordo would post a story such as this.
Surely the end will come at some point, but print is still an influential form of propaganda for individual owners (eg. Jeff Bezos, Patrick Soon-Shiong, and other billionaires) and corporations with left, or right (but mostly left) leaning newsrooms.

Why bother with print when you can use Adobe products and the cloud to produce print at the targeted audience.

This logic can be applied elsewhere too. Why bother going to the store for toothpaste when you can have it shipped instead? If you strive for a paperless office/lifestyle, that is your choice and I'm sure it's attainable. It won't be the same for everyone though.

For one so good at accurate reporting and debunking of myths and rumors, I'm a little surprised that Gordo would post a story such as this.
Surely the end will come at some point, but print is still an influential form of propaganda for individual owners (eg. Jeff Bezos, Patrick Soon-Shiong, and other billionaires) and corporations with left, or right (but mostly left) leaning newsrooms.

“We see things not as they are - but as we are.”

Gordo I remember that quote as but as we are As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he. As a man sees in his heart, so he sees. Through unclean windows, lenses, senses, we see things not as they are but as we are. I am just tired of junk mail no big deal, just a topic

After 20 years of pondering, I have a solution. Rebrand "Junk Mail" to "Information Target Mail". I believe within weeks, people will be looking forward to receiving information in the mail targeted just for them. :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back