Irish Government Purchase Komori Press that didn't fit

Another example of mishandled taxpayer money. The government office and Komori should both be ashamed of themselves. Just about every printing machine we've purchased over the years (from small copiers to web inkjet) was always marked out on the floor during a "site survey" so the delivery and installation folks knew where to put it. Dropping the ball is putting it way too lightly.

If you read the news story, it's truly pathetic.

The very first thing that pops out at me is that the press had to fit in a space 2.5m high, and it's a full 2.1m high.

Would ya think pressman would find it delightful to rap his knuckles on the ceiling every time he raised the gate to change a plate?

And then... the press must fit into a space of length 12m, width 5.8m and height 2.5m “with an acceptable work area around the press”, the press being 7.3 metres long, 2.68m wide and 2.1m high.

My lord! There's no room to move paper around the press in a space like that! And for the press operator to stand between the paper and the press whilst someone is on the other side? Nah.

Maybe if they put the press on casters to move back and forth?

Egits. Tax-absorption egits.

On a positive note; when all is said and done, whoever gets to operate this press will surely be celebrating. It’s one of the best in its’ class.

Theyll be celebrating when they do the training..... which they are currently refusing to do until they get a pay rise. I kid you not.

Oh, this seems to be a thing in Ireland. Some years ago in Dublin they built a tunnel to the port, only to find out that it was not high enough for the trucks to fit under. Then there was also the Red Cow roundabout, also in Dublin aka the mad cow roundabout where a tram crossed the road stopping traffic on one of the most busy intersections, then they moves the tracks but made a bend too tight for the trams to fit.

Ah they've had some beauts, the port tunnel was only a problem for extra high trucks which are rare enough anyway here so wasn't really a problem.

The tram (officially named LUAS) has had its fun over the years. Used to be two separate lines and recently they joined them up which entailed them crossing the main river in the centre of the city. At the same time they decided to introduce the extra long trams to help demand but these were longer than the bridge it needed to cross so if it got blocked on the far side of the bridge by traffic it's tail end was then blocking the traffic on the other side too.

The best was probably when the government spent a fortune on Electronic voting machines back in 2002 only to find they were un-reliable and open to tampering. Spent a good few years in storage only to be scrapped, cost the tax payer €54million.

I know it was a big mistake whoever took the measurements but alot of the media flack is based on the public's lack of knowledge of printing. The amount of opinions going around of outrage without the smallest idea of what printing the government actually do.

If i remember rightly the last time I had a tech in he said the irish government had or were about to have Ireland's first Xerox Baltoro Inkjet press installed.

We bought a new Komori Spica 29P when it was first released. I remember them checking and inspecting everything before the press even arrived. We had to do some work to the concrete floor because of their inspection. They did not just show up and drop it off. Really surprised at this though I am guessing you just see dollar signs when selling to the government.

Ah they've had some beauts, the port tunnel was only a problem for extra high trucks which are rare enough anyway here so wasn't really a problem.

The tram (officially named LUAS) has had its fun over the years. Used to be two separate lines and recently they joined them up which entailed them crossing the main river in the centre of the city. At the same time they decided to introduce the extra long trams to help demand but these were longer than the bridge it needed to cross so if it got blocked on the far side of the bridge by traffic it's tail end was then blocking the traffic on the other side too.

The best was probably when the government spent a fortune on Electronic voting machines back in 2002 only to find they were un-reliable and open to tampering. Spent a good few years in storage only to be scrapped, cost the tax payer €54million.

I know it was a big mistake whoever took the measurements but alot of the media flack is based on the public's lack of knowledge of printing. The amount of opinions going around of outrage without the smallest idea of what printing the government actually do.

If i remember rightly the last time I had a tech in he said the irish government had or were about to have Ireland's first Xerox Baltoro Inkjet press installed.

Ha! Ha! Love it, but the Irish are not the only ones able to drop a clanger. Here in Bavaria, in Augsburg they built a new police station, real nice, glass and steel and concrete with underground parking for the cop cars. It was accessable via a spiral ramp. The first car sent down as a VW Passat estate which promptly got stuck in the too to tight spiral.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back