At the Press Approval

Cory Smith

072-At-the-Press-Approval.png

I have started to keep a count of the number of times we come full circle back to the first press sheet out, right now we are about 75%, change this, try this, etc... OK lets go back to number 1 (an hour and 1000 sheets of paper later, AHHHHH)

Gordon, what does erable mean in this context? Is it a printing term? I could not find a definition.

Thanks for an explanation. I might use it in a conversation someday. :)

Gordon, what does erable mean in this context? Is it a printing term? I could not find a definition.

Thanks for an explanation. I might use it in a conversation someday. :)

Oh Erik....

It's Ms Erable.

How do you pronounce "Ms"?

Miz.

MizErable.

Miserable.

ROTFL

best gordo

After some months of accommodating Ms Erable we found the simple solution was to schedule her job either during afternoon rush hour traffic or 3am, what was a long-winded sage where only her optical nerve was capable of discerning the most colour critical data turned into a breeze, start up adjust colour to match the proof...done!

the moral of this story; nightshift is your friend

regards
Maas

Oh Erik....

It's Ms Erable.

How do you pronounce "Ms"?

Miz.

MizErable.

Miserable.

ROTFL

best gordo

OK. I can now use "ms erable" in a conversation. No problem. :)

What's ROTFL? Wait, I know. You can get up off the floor now.

Erik

Ah yes.

I remember my "Ms first Timer". I had just been moved up to the big 6 unit press as a 2nd pressman. We had just finished the make ready of a new Nelson's chocolate box and were waiting for the customer to arrive for the OK. She come's in with the salesman in tow and takes a look at the printed sheet that we had laid out for her. She then asks for three piece's of stock, which we give her. She then takes out three PMS colour markers, and makes neat little colour patches on the board. She then takes her scribbles and holds them to the printed sheet to check colour. The head pressman , salesman and myself look at her in amazement, as she tells us that the colour is off. We then show her the signed off colour proofs from the ink supplier with her company's stamp and signed OK. No, she say's and tells us that we have to go by her approval. Well we start up and adjust colour for her. She again checks the sheet with her scribbles. Still not good enough, this goes on for an hour, the head pressman is loosing his cool. Colin has a bad habit of throwing things when he's mad. He walks from the press just as Ms Loon wants to make another change. We suddenly hear PING, PING, CRASH. Colin is throwing wrenches and ink knives around. I start up the press and make the adjustments that she now want's to try. I take a sheet from the delivery and lay it out in front of her. She again looks at the colour and turns to the salesman and me and states " I don't know, It just doesn't Speak to me". What doesn't speak to you the sales guy asks, trying not to laugh in her face. The sheet, she say's the colours just don't speak to me. I walk away from the press just pissing myself laughing, it's just too funny and too weird. The salesman has left the press too and has gone to see the press room manager. We're told to take lunch and come back in an hour. When we get back, Ms Loons boss is walking in with the Press room Manager and the Salesman and the Sales Manager in tow. Colin has calmed down and is talking to me about getting this job running right. The sales guy and his boss along with Ms Loons boss call us over and tell us to get the colour back to the last pull before the craziness started. Half hour later we have the sheet back to were we were and the Sales manager and the Loons boss take a look at the sheet. Just bring the background yellow up a bit and I'll sign off on the colour OK her boss say's to Colin. Five minutes later we have a signed sheet and are running. Ms Loon and her boss leave with the Salesman and his boss. The next day at morning coffee, the sales guy comes up to Colin and myself and say's that we won't be seeing our friend the Loon ever again, we took that to mean that she was let go. He also said that we were to see him at the end of our shift. We went to see him at the days end and he gives us both a bottle of Canadian Club with a Thank you card from Ms Loons boss. That was the first and the last time I ever got any thing from a customer.

@Lab Rat 1

LOL! That's a great story.

I used to use those Pantone felt markers to do my design concepts - but not to spec color although I can certainly imagine some designers and print buyers trying to get the printer to do so.

What used to frustrate me was when the client said they liked the streaky effect that the felt markers made when blocking out large areas of solid color and wanted that effect reproduced on the cover of their annual report. Killed any chance of winning a design award.

best, gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back