Proofing

gordo

360%20Proofing_zpsxhy5ksln.jpg

We knew you weren't serious when you named your file job.final.pdf.

Does anyone else think this is the absolute worst file naming structure? There should only ever be ONE version of a file. Whenever a outside designer sends me a "final" version, they lose a little bit of respect.

I'm a quick printer, so reorders are a huge portion of our work. Last in-house designer that insisted on naming his files with FINAL got shitcanned.

Does anyone else think this is the absolute worst file naming structure? There should only ever be ONE version of a file. Whenever a outside designer sends me a "final" version, they lose a little bit of respect.

I'm a quick printer, so reorders are a huge portion of our work. Last in-house designer that insisted on naming his files with FINAL got shitcanned.

Using ".final" in your file naming schemes, creates a big mess if you have to revise it for any reason.

Job.Final.pdf
Job.Final2.pdf
Job. Final.Final.Final3.pdf

Ahhh Heck --- Just forget the job !

yes it is the absolute worst . . . I get so many files that read biz card.pdf or LH.pdf etc . . . they may know what file it is but . . . how many bus cards are in your system and how many different customers . . . give me a name that tells me what the H3LL the file is!!!!!!

Using ".final" in your file naming schemes, creates a big mess if you have to revise it for any reason.

Job.Final.pdf
Job.Final2.pdf
Job. Final.Final.Final3.pdf

Ahhh Heck --- Just forget the job !

Quilty as charged! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yes it is the absolute worst . . . I get so many files that read biz card.pdf or LH.pdf etc . . . they may know what file it is but . . . how many bus cards are in your system and how many different customers . . . give me a name that tells me what the H3LL the file is!!!!!!

I get that from one customer we print envelopes for. It's contract work, so there are different clients, but only one name to every file. Aaaarrrrgghhhh!

Oh, and e-mails from a CSR with some JPEG file from somebody's camera. The file's named with a number, and there's nothing in the e-mail to tell me who it's from, but I'm supposed to know?

I get that from one customer we print envelopes for. It's contract work, so there are different clients, but only one name to every file. Aaaarrrrgghhhh!

Oh, and e-mails from a CSR with some JPEG file from somebody's camera. The file's named with a number, and there's nothing in the e-mail to tell me who it's from, but I'm supposed to know?

If its a CSR that works for you . . . I would first attempt to talk to them and explain the situation is a soft and mellow tone . . . and if that doesn't work . . . it's out back of the pressroom with a broom handle and then you beat them until they understand . . . (oh well it sounded so nice when I started this)

I know where I work the files are named proof first because we send a hard copy proof to all our customers. When it comes back corrections are made and the name is changed to final. Which lets everyone who handles the job know that corrections have been made. As an operator if I have a job that is supposed to be good to go but it still has proof in the file name I need to double check and make sure that all corrections were made.

Why do you need the old files? If they need something changed again, make the change to the only existing copy of that file. No need to double check if there is only one version. I do the exact same work as you.

Why do you need the old files? If they need something changed again, make the change to the only existing copy of that file. No need to double check if there is only one version. I do the exact same work as you.

I never said there was more than one file. There is only one file but having two names is just another safety net so In the off chance that a book comes back from proof but does not get corrections made either I or the ripper will see that and we can make sure that the file is up to date. I am not even saying that has happened before but it definitely does not hurt anything or take any extra time to do.

bcfront.indd bcback.indd 2x3.5 business on a 24x36 inch canvas no fonts no links. i just got this from a customer about an hour ago, i'm wholesale it came from a print brokers graphic designer. Ah well I am employed.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back