Collateral Job Loss

gordo

386 Collateral Job Loss.jpg

Oh, man, that one hurts. A newspaper web is a wonder to behold. Now that people look to the internet so much, they believe any fool thing they read there instead of sticking to trusted sources like online newspapers.

My father worked in the Newspaper industry till we got into commercial printing . . it was amazing to see that iron running when I was 5 years old . .. just as amazing today . .. and just not the press but the composing room with what seemed like 100's of linotypes all clacking away . . . and the . . . and the . . . and the

i worked in the business for 8 years, having grown in a family of newspaper people. my playroom was the newsroom with about 40 foul-mouthed nannies. the composing room was a place of magic, with amberlith, facto knives, pica poles, waxers, developers, linotype machines, strips of copy...and the composition guys (the backshop back then) and the pressmen were always the nicest guys in the building. when i went grew up and went to work, i learned more about layout and production than almost any other time in my career. 17 years later, and i'm glad i got out when i did. it's too bad. not gone really, but truly not what it used to be.

The current resident has sparked something of a small resurgence in the newspaper business, especially NYT and WAPO. Certainly not enough to save the industry in the long term, but slightly encouraging. I now get three delivered to my home so I can read them while I eat my Special K. Breakfast cereal is also apparently and endangered species.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back