The Vanishing Family Printshop

gordo

408 The Vanishing Family Printshop.jpg

All too true. There used to be three in the town in which I work; now there's only one, and I don't have much hope for it. It's not owned by the founders as it is.

Too true, this comment is a little dated, but in the year after the dot com bust(2001 as I recall) here in Kalifornia, back when UniSource still existed, their salesman told us that they lost a shop a day during that time period . . . and that was not just mom and pops but printing companies sometimes with 100s of employees . . . .

Maybe Jack is very short and we just can't see him behind the podium.

Note the height of the podium in the first two frames relative to the speaker. If Jack is too short to make his appearance at the podium...he probably has another career opportunity awaiting him.

Note the height of the podium in the first two frames relative to the speaker. If Jack is too short to make his appearance at the podium...he probably has another career opportunity awaiting him.

I guess this means that Jack has a career option most others might not have. Maybe in show business? :)

When ones training and skills are too specific, it means they are not so transferable. If much of ones knowledge is based on myths, that makes it even worse. I see this as a sad situation for some of the young people being educated by the graphic arts institutions.

If these young people don't make it in the printing industry, they don't have the management training needed for other industries where other candidates probably have some business school education. They don't have anywhere near the science and technical education that other candidates would have gotten from engineering schools or science degree programs.

Of course, if they have a family printing business, then they would have a guaranteed job for life. Oops, I forgot, this thread is about the vanishing family print businesses. No job security there.

Also note the microphone holder is different in the last slide. Maybe just a difference in perspective! ;)

The podium is also different. Maybe there are two podiums and Jack went to the wrong one.

Methinks I’ve been out-humoured with this one. LOL
I should have dispensed with the speaker and his speech bubble and just used the podiums and microphone. Would have saved me a lot of work.
Hmmm, that gives me an idea....

Right, Here is a standard 3 panel cartoon strip. All you need to do is provide a title (for the top center where those dashes are) and text for each of the 3 panels. Let's see what you all come up with! Click on image to embiggen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A Challenge.jpg Views:	2 Size:	130.8 KB ID:	274467

Methinks I’ve been out-humoured with this one. LOL
I should have dispensed with the speaker and his speech bubble and just used the podiums and microphone. Would have saved me a lot of work.
Hmmm, that gives me an idea....

Right, Here is a standard 3 panel cartoon strip. All you need to do is provide a title (for the top center where those dashes are) and text for each of the 3 panels. Let's see what you all come up with! Click on image to embiggen.

Title: The non Standard Observer

Panel 1: I don't think I can see colour in D50.

Panel 2: From here, the image looks skewed.

Panel 3: I think the gray balance has shifted to the right.

Title: Print to survive

1) In my youth i was searching a job to combine earning money for life with my artistic ambitions.

2) As an adult i was trying to combine understanding more and more technical aspects with my visual and sensitive interests...

3) ...now i am searching a job to pay a psychatrist gathering my crashed Illusions.

Last edited:
Title: Mind Reader

1. The customer didn't give us much to go on, except to make it look good.

2. He's too "busy" to check a proof.

3. I guess it's time to play Printer's Choice! The game we always lose.

I wonder if this has ANY correlation with the mass shootings that are happening with too much regularity. You never know, it could be part contributor.

Answer to whole problem> De-Technicalize. Dig large black hole; throw all cell phones, computers, video games and contemporary electronic devices into it. Bury them. That is the answer, however it is not going to happen. Millenial freak out time. Shame.

D

Answer to whole problem> De-Technicalize. Dig large black hole; throw all cell phones, computers, video games and contemporary electronic devices into it. Bury them. That is the answer, however it is not going to happen. Millenial freak out time. Shame

nice idea, but what will come is even more technology:
The day is not far off where you need to have your under your skin implanted updated Amazon-, Google- or AliBaba-chip replaced in a tattoo shop to get on a Greyhound bus from A to B because they once again updated the timetables with new software.

Get used to it

I wonder if this has ANY correlation with the mass shootings that are happening with too much regularity. You never know, it could be part contributor.

Answer to whole problem> De-Technicalize. Dig large black hole; throw all cell phones, computers, video games and contemporary electronic devices into it. Bury them. That is the answer, however it is not going to happen. Millenial freak out time. Shame.

D

Ya know, people used to live without anything but a landline, we all survived, and it wasn't that long ago. Now people can't seem to get through a grocery store without a phone glued to their ear.

I can't tell you how many times I've thought somebody behind me in a store said something to me, only to turn around and find out they're on the phone. Guess I should try a Robert DiNiro - "You talkin' to me?"

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back