The Printer's Burden

gordo

422 The Printer's Burden.jpg

Reminds me of the time I visited the Grand Canyon and picked up a visitors guide . . . glanced at the first side turned the sheet over and found a typo in the second paragraph . . ..

Oh god this is so true. I'll be walking through the mall and stop to check out what material they used for the free standing sign in the middle of the floor. Sat down at some restaurant and noticed they used a synthetic paper with a soft-touch and I kept stroking the menu because it felt so nice. I could go on. My employee yelled at me because he now is in the habit of inspecting printed pieces he stumbles upon. Another fun thing to do is pointing out what I have printed. Sits down at restaurant, "Nah, I don't need to see the menu, I printed it."

LOL, I am the same as Keith only I tend to look at pieces that are perfect bound to see if it contains crossovers and how much of a crossover appearance they have.

pd

I pickup printed pieces to smell them, to see how "fresh" they are. I love the smell of a freshly printed piece. And of course, check for registration, paper, feel, spelling, and all the other stuff too. We are CURSED!

I have been in printing for 29 years. I am still as dumb as ever when it comes to identifying fonts.

There are only two fonts you need to know; Comic Sans and Courier. Anything that doesn't look like either of those two fonts needs to be converted to one of them. Which of the two you select is up to you. If your customer complains just tell them that their PDF has an embedded virus that caused the issue. Make sure that, when you tell them, that you're standing on something to make you appear taller than them. It's more intimidating that way.

There are only two fonts you need to know; Comic Sans and Courier. Anything that doesn't look like either of those two fonts needs to be converted to one of them. Which of the two you select is up to you. If your customer complains just tell them that their PDF has an embedded virus that caused the issue. Make sure that, when you tell them, that you're standing on something to make you appear taller than them. It's more intimidating that way.

Gordo . ..you fergot Hobo . .. just as bad as comic sans . . .

LOL, I am the same as Keith only I tend to look at pieces that are perfect bound to see if it contains crossovers and how much of a crossover appearance they have.

pd

...especially when it results in body parts disappearing into the gutter .

I remember being fascinated with things like registration marks and colour bars, and how books were bound since I was barely able to read them... which of course meant taking them apart.

Smelling whatever we get in the mail and then claiming it is printed using offset became a running gag in our offices after we saw a sales guy do that. Nobody thought it was impossible to distinguish print technologies by smell. We just found it highly unlikely someone in sales would be capable of doing that.

Smelling whatever we get in the mail and then claiming it is printed using offset became a running gag in our offices after we saw a sales guy do that. Nobody thought it was impossible to distinguish print technologies by smell. We just found it highly unlikely someone in sales would be capable of doing that.

I Like That! D

Also, offset smells the best. It is the vegetable that we are all made of. Ask Bennie; he shall conform.

D

Quote from my wife after sharing this with her... "Your critique has been the appetizer for many a meal…one of the first times you took me out to eat, you moaned about kerning…KERNING! Who notices that?! I didn’t even know what kerning was at the time! You’re lucky I didn’t end it right then and there."

My fiancé is a proofreader, and we both read menus and comment on the fonts, kerning, spelling and overall design. But I'm the one that smells and loves to feel them. Some times we talk more about the menu than anything else.

My fiancé is a proofreader, and we both read menus and comment on the fonts, kerning, spelling and overall design. But I'm the one that smells and loves to feel them. Some times we talk more about the menu than anything else.

Well, at least you talk (to each other). It really saddens me to see young couples out to dinner, these days, when both heads are buried in their cell phones and texting. I mean, why bother to go out to dinner at all!?!?!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back