Hazing the Intern

gordo

423 Hazing the Intern.jpg

Whoa....that backfired!

Years ago, when I worked for a major grocery store chain, we'd send the new guy back to the Deli department to get a 50-pound bag of marsh mellows for a customer. Of course, they would send him to the candy isle, who would send them over to produce, who would send them back to shipping & receiving, who would tell them that we're out of stock. But, he would tell him that the department store at the other end of the shopping center has some and would send him there to pick up a bag on trade credit (would fill out the trade credit form and everything). Once he got to the department store, they would laugh and tell him "Think about it kid, exactly how big would a 50-pound bag of marsh mellows be? "

This wasn't done to an intern...

One coworker forged a memo from the boss and put it on another coworker's desk. Told him to inventory all rubber bands and categorize them by size ASAP.

He assumed the guy would realize it was a joke. Went back a while later to find him cursing and counting/sorting rubber bands.

This sort of thing really pisses me off. Instead of making good use of precious time by teaching someone ignorant something really relevant, the instigator is revealing his/her own insecurity by trying to sink someone else's dingy in an infantile attempt to make their own flagship more noticeable. And, man, they really succeed every single time.

This sort of thing really pisses me off. Instead of making good use of precious time by teaching someone ignorant something really relevant, the instigator is revealing his/her own insecurity by trying to sink someone else's dingy in an infantile attempt to make their own flagship more noticeable. And, man, they really succeed every single time.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

I think in the UK they call it "taking a piss on someone."

It's just a comic, why you heff to be mad?

...he wrote, while scanning the ink shelf for Pantone Tartan.

This intern could really turn the tables by returning with a box of those halftone contact screens I vaguely remember using in the darkroom to screen photos.

I remember those. Good luck finding any nowadays.

So yeah, some hazing or whatever goes on almost everywhere to some extent, either as an initiation or a culture. The "victim" can either take it good-naturedly or get all bent out of shape. If they are good-natured about it, the rest of the crew knows they are all right. If not, that person may become more of a target. It's a time to show whether you'll fit in or not and whether you'll be part of the crew or somebody to avoid.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back