Introduce yourself!

Introduction

Introduction

Hello, my name is Douglas Black.

I'm a man pursuing his dream of owning his own business. I left a very comfortable corporate job in order to gain some sales experience before opening my own business. Based on my personal skills, I believed that Business-to-Business sales is where I could excel and found myself in the Print Industry (I'm a Network Security man by trade). I have been at the sales gig for a few months now, and feel like I'm gaining confidence and ability with each step.

I'm always looking to further my education. So if you know of any good books that I should read, do not hesitate to offer.

~ Hey_DB

ImpoDave

ImpoDave

I am the production manager/expediter for a small commercial print operation in South-Central Missouri, though much of the time I don't feel like one.

I began my career as a pressman in 1977, moved to imposition a couple of years later and continued doing that for one outfit or another through 2003. That summer my employer purchased Nexus RIP 7.0 from AWS, Dynastrip 4.0 and an ECRM violet platesetter.

We're now running a thermal platesetter and LHPJ plates from Fuji after chasing color on the ECRM and violet plates for 3 years.

Now we're attempting to make the jump to a total PDF workflow using Nexus 9.0X and Dynastrip 5.3. We've encountered several issues that neither Esko or Dynagram have solutions for, though I will concede that some of the issues may be file preparation. My biggest issues have to do with plate output issues and controlling them from Dynastrip.

I don't have much experience with document programs so I co:confused:uld use some advice from anyone using this combination.

Last edited:
Hello. I'm a Blocklayer (like a bricklayer, only blocks :) who wrote a raffle ticket printing application years ago for a friends club and ended up putting it online free to use.

You can design and print your own tickets, or create a print file and send to a print shop for printing (this may intersest some of you).
It numbers tickets and sequences pages in correct order for stapling, perforating and cutting into books of tickets.

The app runs from the web site, (no registration, costs etc) with full instructions on use, including perforating.

It runs from here www.raffleprinter.com

:

Hi. I started almost 30 years ago as a mechanic for printing equipment. The company I worked for produced sheetfed presses, guillotines, platens, tipesetting machines and other. Later after graduating university with a diploma in engineering , I climbed the ladder up to Design and Development Manager. I ended up working in machine manufacturing over 12 years ago. Since then I've been employed as a technical and maintenance manager for several printing plants. Right now, I am with a large newspaper printer, working mainly in coldset web ofset. Also manufacturing books, mainly softcover. Still working as technical manager.

Hello, my name is Juan Rueda, I´m Sales & Technical Manager for PROGRAFICA S.A. in
Guayaquil - Ecuador

PROGRAFICA S.A. is a Fuji Dealer, we buy CTP, plates, films, all of the fuji brand.
My experience is about 10 years in graphic market.

I´m a Fuji engineer certificate, so if I can Help you, please let me know.

regards

juan carlos

My name is Judy,
I am a designer with an office overlooking 15 acres in Michigan with my 3 horses, 2 Corgis, a Greyhound, various foster rescue Corgis, oh yeah, and my husband;). After working in 4 advertising agencies for many years I now own my own business designing collateral materials of every kind imaginable. 75% of my business now is book, book cover design and tyepesetting/production. I recently switched from Quark to InDesign after 20+ years of loyalty.

My name is Ed,

I am the IT guy for a large format printing company. We have 2 KBA 205's! I designed custom production software for my company in '94. I work mostly off site and have had to do only nominal support of the custom software. I just spent two months STRAIGHT, 65/hr weeks, implementing a setup Epace system which our company setup two years ago. Don't ask. That's why I'm on PPF now.

Ed

Hello from InfoPrint

Hello from InfoPrint

Hey All

As my name suggests I'm working for InfoPrint Solutions Company, a joint venture between Ricoh and IBM. I started as a programmer/analyst more than 20 years ago with IBM and worked with printing solutions since 1992. My background is mainly in the solutions area (software, consulting) but I've always been quite interested to know the technical details of the hardware.

I found this forum as a large source of information about all printing related questions and I'm quite sure I can learn a lot from all participants. Last but not least I'll be glad to help with questions regarding InfoPrint or Ricoh solutions.

Thanks for having me!

A Brief Introduction

A Brief Introduction

Hi, I'm a baby-boomer who, apparently going through a mid-life crisis bought a printing business to become his own boss. You know how it goes... It seemed like a good idea at the time.

One of my better decisions, I think, was to get a Konica Minolta Bizhub C6500 with the folding unit, booklet finisher, and stapler finisher on the end. In the two years we've had it we've put on over 2 million clicks, and most of those were wonderful. Lately, however, we've had a number of problems and I was hoping this forum will be of help. I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say, and I'll be more than happy to share from whatever I've learned.

As to all the questions in this thread, when I USED to have a life, I enjoyed camping, flying, sailing, and ice skating; now I are a entrepreneur... ;)

Hey all my name is Garry, and have pretty much spent all my life in the printing trade, being a 7th generation printer! My family moved to australia in the early 1900s, my father is a letterpress tradesman and my grandfather was a compositor by trade and fully qualified letterpress operator.

I live and work in Brisbane, Australia with my soon to be wife, 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 dog and 2 turtles..I currently run a Komori 40 inch, and have 16 years experience as a full time printer on a range of presses from platens to CDs, Solna's, Akiyama's, Rolands, Ryobi's etc etc etc..

I have worked with Pure Print for the last 18months, having originally started here in '02 and doing stints at several other companies before returning to Pure in mid '07.. I played cricket and football for near 20 yrs, and had a handicap of 3 at golf.. Im currently selling the last of my race cars to buy a new place..

Im hoping to perhaps learn a few things on here and may even be able to help others.. see what happens!

hi all
im a fairly new to the trade (7years), finished my apprenticeship a couple of years ago, and have been lucky enough to experience operating alot of presses, from a 1 colour MO (commercial shop) to an 8 Colour Roland, (packaging) and SM-52 and 102 (books and publishing).

In Australia at the moment - an errily only 2 suburbs over from the poster above!
Im looking to branch out in the future - hopefully move back on to newer gear that doesnt have a mind of its own, and keep getting better lol

Love the job and the challenges... its a soul destroying industry but it pays the bills.
I was happy to see this forum existed!

Introduction - Minuteman Press Lynnwood

Introduction - Minuteman Press Lynnwood

Hi! My name is Cristopher Dwan. I am the new owner of the Minuteman Press in Lynnwood, WA.

Speaking of being a newbie, I am the definition of the word. I have been in the print industry for roughly a year and a half. Purchased this business because I had worked for the New York Times prior to this business as a circulation manager.

I'm joining this forum to really get involved in the trade and looking forward to meeting those that are far more experience than I and learning more about this industry.

We have a few presses here; a 1650, 1450, 1 color heidleberg 18 x 22, a true 2 color Itek. Along with the new Konica Minolta 1050 (B&W) and a KM C500 (Color).

I hope to excel in this business and I look forward to corresponding with all of you!

Cris
Minuteman Press : Welcome

Hi Everyone,

I am Brad from South Africa, I have been in the printing industry for over 10 years in various positions from production to sales (Litho), second hand Heidelberg machine sales. Now I am selling Xerox PSG, through their concessionaire channel. I don't see myself as a sales person but rather an adviser to the industry (Digital is a very new concept in SA).

As most South Africans I am sport mad love it all, soccer, rugby, cricket and golf - love it love it love it!!!!!!!

Hi All,

My name is David. I am a newbie to the printing world with less than 2 yrs experience. I am currently working for Sabre Plate Solution in sunny Southern California. We distribute high quality positive conventional and positive thermal plates at jaw dropping prices. I am the sales executive there (yes, I do sales :eek:). I am here to learn from all the printing gurus and to share the little bit of knowledge that I have about the industry.

Since I am in Southern California, I love Lakers basketball, Chargers football and fast cars.
I hope to meet many of you sooner or later through the forums.

Cheers,
[email protected]

Hey Newbies! (from a fairly new-be)

Hey Newbies! (from a fairly new-be)

Hey David, and all other newbies. Call me MJNC (or just _m).
I have been in the printing industry since age 14 - started with 4 years in a darkroom/art shop 1/2 day every day in Vocational HS. A few weeks ago, I turned 43. There were a few years where I did temporary other jobs; always came back to prepress, though, as I love it. I started working on a Mac in 1989; Illustrator 88, Quark 2.3, etc., and have been in the industry consistently since.
I gotta tell you; this site is like a gold mine with all of the help and information I’ve gotten for the issues I’ve had here at work. I hope I can help y’all, too. David, (since you’re in sales) you should know that I was the Electronic Prepress Liaison to Sales for 2 of the top 5 (in CA) for 6+ years. So hopefully I can spell things out clearly without getting too technical, if that’s what you need.
Anyway, must start the work day.
Party On!
_m

First post! MIS, BHR software, Cost consultant

First post! MIS, BHR software, Cost consultant

First timer here!

My name is Paul Wolfe and I've been in the printing industry since 1988, firstly as a controller at a web/sheetfed shop and then as a consultant.

I have a very bright 12 year old son who invariably reveals to me how little I know, despite my being on this planet for many more years! My son and I are avid scuba divers and I've been a music lover and hi-end audio equipment aficionado since my teenage years.

Our company has been providing MIS, Cost consulting and software services to the Graphic Arts industry since 1992. We released our BHR software, SEXTANT, in March 1996 and have sold just under 1,500 copies since that time. Most of our clients come from MIS vendor referrals and we also provide OEM versions of our software to some of these same vendors.

If anyone would like our perspectives on cost analysis, including the pros and cons of determining hourly standards using BHRs or activity-based costing, please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Last edited:
Yeah! Another Canuck! I'm not, but I've got friends in your neighborhood and I've always loved visiting Toronto. Super friendly folks.

Hi guys

My name is Murtuza. I have been in Printing Industry for last 16yrs.

Anyway,I run a medium size Flexo Printing Company with 10-12 employes.

Prepress: Sictex Imagesetter 400Dulev

Printing machines: Nilpeter F2500

My Hobbies to Paint Portrait

Love my wife and 10 yrs old.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back